Windows update boot problem.

johnnymcswiney64

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017
Hello currently my computer will turn on the fans will go and stuff but the computer will not actually go into windows or anything, no response. I just recently updated the computer to the new windows update which bricked it i think, This all happened after the computer finished updating and I can't get it to boot at all. Ive Tried switching all the display ports, I've tried unplugging everything, Ive tried only having the ssd connected but to no avail. I'm using a custom pc by the way, which I haven't had any problems with in the past. CPU i5 3490 non k. I have a hyper 212 Evo. 16 gigs of ram a 1060 6gb 2 hard drives and a ssd to boot.

Solution
Windows Update can't "brick" your PC as it only modifies files on the boot HDD/SSD.

So it doesn't affect your CMOS (BIOS) at all.

*But... are you saying you see NOTHING on the screen during the boot process?

If so, that's got nothing to do with Windows Update since it's not even getting to the point of booting from your Windows drive. That would be a COINCIDENTAL failure of hardware again not related to Windows.

So we need to know if you can go into the BIOS.

Other:
If you see NOTHING on the monitor I'd try this first:
a) shut down PC,
b) switch off power supply
c) REMOVE the graphics card (may be a motherboard LATCH to pull out on removal. careful.)

e) hook monitor to MOTHERBOARD (to use iGPU)
f) test

When it comes to NO VIDEO...
Windows Update can't "brick" your PC as it only modifies files on the boot HDD/SSD.

So it doesn't affect your CMOS (BIOS) at all.

*But... are you saying you see NOTHING on the screen during the boot process?

If so, that's got nothing to do with Windows Update since it's not even getting to the point of booting from your Windows drive. That would be a COINCIDENTAL failure of hardware again not related to Windows.

So we need to know if you can go into the BIOS.

Other:
If you see NOTHING on the monitor I'd try this first:
a) shut down PC,
b) switch off power supply
c) REMOVE the graphics card (may be a motherboard LATCH to pull out on removal. careful.)

e) hook monitor to MOTHERBOARD (to use iGPU)
f) test

When it comes to NO VIDEO you should also:

a) try different monitor (or HDTV via HDMI)
b) try different cable

Solution