DVI to HDMI - Dell Monitor Issues

blueeyedsoulbrother

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Recently bought a 27" Dell monitor. Didn't realize it has VGA and HDMI connections and my PC has only VGA and DVI. Hooked up the VGA and it didn't look so hot and the Dell software wouldn't detect it. Got a DVI to HDMI cable and it took a few reset's before I got a picture. Problem is, now with Dell hooked via DVI/HDMI and my other screen via VGA the Dell software nor Win10 will detect two monitors so I'm stuck with the same screen duplicated and the new monitor stuck at a lower resolution to match the old one. Any ideas? Should Win10 and Dell Software detect the new screen using the DVI-HDMI cable?

Solution
No I understood it. But you might have to live with the problem until you upgrade the video card. You would have better chance of success with a DVI HDMI mix. The DVI/HDMi and the VGA don't speak the same "language" where they leave the computer. This could make it hard to do what you want. Maybe someone else has a better solution. Some DVI is duplex and sends data back, some isn't. VGA I think isn't at all. There are 6 different DVI connectors. They all do, or don't do different things. HDMI and DVI are compatible standards. Some DVI has VGA pins included but that will get you 2X VGA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#Connector
VGA is analog, but HDMI and DVI are digital. They might not play well together. The VGA is actually converted to analog at the VGA port, and then converted back to digital inside the monitor ( unless it's CRT). I would suggest moving away from VGA if possible.

blueeyedsoulbrother

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

Thanks for the tip but perhaps I was unclear. My video card has two outputs (DVI and VGA). I have two monitors. Both Dell, one new. One has VGA and DVI inputs and the other has VGA and HDMI inputs. I'd like to use both monitors. I was going to put the old one on the VGA and the new monitor with HDMI I had intended to connect with a DVI to HDMI cable. I've done that and the old monitor on the VGA line looks fine. The new monitor with the DVI to HDMI cable does not. The ratio is off and it's not detected as a second monitor by Win10 so the max resolution can be only the highest resolution of the old monitor. Not at all ideal. I thought with the DVI to HDMI cable it would at least get the Dell Monitor software to detect the monitor and let me make adjustments. It does not. Not sure if that is because no DVI to HDMI cable will allow it or if it's a video card or Win driver issue. I've tried two different brand DVI to HDMI cables with the same results. I can't update my video card drivers as I don't believe it's supported any longer (ATI Radeon 4300/4500 Series) and the only monitor coming up in Device Manager says "Generic Non-PnP Monitor". Having only the new monitor connected does nothing. If I have it on the VGA line at least I get the correct ratio and Windows will detect the second monitor though the Dell software that came with does not find it.

No I understood it. But you might have to live with the problem until you upgrade the video card. You would have better chance of success with a DVI HDMI mix. The DVI/HDMi and the VGA don't speak the same "language" where they leave the computer. This could make it hard to do what you want. Maybe someone else has a better solution. Some DVI is duplex and sends data back, some isn't. VGA I think isn't at all. There are 6 different DVI connectors. They all do, or don't do different things. HDMI and DVI are compatible standards. Some DVI has VGA pins included but that will get you 2X VGA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#Connector

Solution