Windows 10 Creators Update Breaking Symlink?

Computing Skrub

Honorable
Oct 12, 2015
Lets start with a bit of back story
I keep all of my steam games in 2 directories on my 3tb hard drive. One of these folders is for games that I originally had on my 1tb hard drive (games that i had installed before i got my 3tb hdd)
and the other for game i have installed after i got my 3tb hdd.
I originally moved my steam games from my 1tb drive to my 3tb drive by using a symlink.
Heres my issue
Last night I installed the fall creators update, and this morning when i looked in my steam library I saw that it said that majority of my games needed to be downloaded. So i went into my 1tb drive's directory for the link (steamapps), and when i clicked on it, it said that the specified directory could not be located (or something like that). I then deleted that steamapps (with the link) and then tried to create another one (through cmd. I went into cmd and did the following command, "mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps" E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps. I was then given an eror say that "The syntax command is incorrect" No, steam wasn't running and Yes, i was running cmd as administrator.
I will link a video of my issue incase you don't understand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th5Kw_aP-Fk

Solution
Hi, usually "syntax" errors mean that you simply typed something wrong in the command. Maybe it expected more information, maybe less.

I noticed missing quotes on the 2nd folder. Since the 2nd folder has spaces in it, quotes are pretty much required, or else the program sees additional folders to link.

Basically you told mklink to link these folders:
1. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps
2. E:\Program
3. Files
4. (x86)\Steam\SteamApps
and it got confused with 4 folders.

Try adding the quotes like this:
mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps" "E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps"

That should fix the "syntax" error, but maybe you'll get another error of some other type. Try it and see what happens...

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, usually "syntax" errors mean that you simply typed something wrong in the command. Maybe it expected more information, maybe less.

I noticed missing quotes on the 2nd folder. Since the 2nd folder has spaces in it, quotes are pretty much required, or else the program sees additional folders to link.

Basically you told mklink to link these folders:
1. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps
2. E:\Program
3. Files
4. (x86)\Steam\SteamApps
and it got confused with 4 folders.

Try adding the quotes like this:
mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps" "E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps"

That should fix the "syntax" error, but maybe you'll get another error of some other type. Try it and see what happens.

If you don't want to use command prompt, you could try the program listed here:
http://blog.danieljost.com/symbolic-links-save-space-ssd/
Note: I have not tested this program. If you try it, you do so at your own risk. I was going to try it but it required .NET and my test system doesn't have that installed and it takes a while to download it.

Solution