Missing Files---What is chkdsk doing?? What to do????

bobbo123

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Just got two 8TB External Drives from Seagate to consolidate and back up some 2-3-4 TB drives.

First 8TB took all the files--everything OK.

Second 8TB had some unknown problem while copying files from the same drive that was copied to the first drive. The progress bar just froze. Disconnected the drive using the Safely Remove Hardware button. On reboot, the Drive showed that 700GB of data had been copied to the NEW Drive but the directory was empty except for the Original Files that came with the unit.

I installed Microsofts MiniTool Power Data Recovery tool and it found about 40 files of the near 1000 that had been copied.

So then........I came Here and found the threads on the same issue and am using chkdsk e: /r to recover/REPAIR/FIX whatever caused this problem...and that is my question: "What happened????"....or what is it that chkdsk is actually finding and is it fixing it for the foreseeable future?

Was this error just a random thing, caused by my computer, or is it a defective disk that should be returned?????

The check is taking place right now. It found and looked like it was recovering many files but it got hung up at "verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)....10 percent complete. (50 of 1008 files processed)" and after 10 minutes I canceled and ran chkdsk again. It very rapidly did not find all the files it found before ((I assume fixed so they were not found the second time??)) and very quickly got to file No 50 and is now slowly going thru the files. Now at 73 of 1008 again.

It looks to me like chkdsk will take a day or more to "verify file data" and then move on to stage 5 of 5? So far....no files have been added to my blank drive. Will this happen at stage 5 with all the "found" files located in a Found Folder?? If so:

I still have the original files and one back up so it looks to me like it would be faster just to recopy the files? --or should I let chkdsk proceed to fix anything??

Lots of questions.............thanks. Solutions/answers/ and discussion requested.

bobbo123

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Follow Up: I "feel like" stopping the chkdsk process and reformating the hard drive to get rid of any broken files on the disk and then run a general chkdsk on the disk, then recopy my files.

Seems to me in the past some "found files" while listed were not fully intact. They "should be" here as the disk was brand new and a first write.....but its easier to just redo than to have to check each file for integrity??

Also........a general fix disk might actually fix it rather than get on a side track of recovering files?

IE: what should I do..........assuming the disk is not defective.........which easily could be the case as I am always multi-tasking and I don't know if something I/the computer did did not interfere with the copy process. What does concern me is that i would think a simple interference would have left all the copied files in place and only have affect the single file that was being copied????==>or could it go to the entire session?....OR IS IT obviously a disk error that would have happened no matter what?........and will chkdsk fix that, or will it most likely just happen again in the future? it is kinda "ok" as I do run a double back up. Disks are cheap enough these days to do that. Too much the hassle when my backup was DVD's. Uggggg!!!

Note: now checking file 128 of 1008...so it will take a day or more. CPU bounces between 2-3% but RAM is steady at 3GB. Some other process that does not register on the Task Manager is taking system to 96% Ram usage and low memory warnings.

How can I identify what is occupying the RAM? If I added another 8GB of RAM would this ramp up to near full again or just be a background process?

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
I've found it more safer to copy files in "clumps" or groups, not all at once. After you get that 2nd HD back into tip-top, formatted, shape, simply "clump"-copy (in groups of a few directories at a time) your files from the 1st ext HD onto the 2nd ext HD.

bobbo123

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

Yes...You are right and I do clump copy when certain issues come up. I find Win 7 copy function difficult to "track", So I use Teracopy (free) for all my copy and paste. It will do a whole drive copy and paste on a start and go basis without any confusion about what it is doing. ((Not exactly correct except for the issues presented here.))

On my system, its a bit slow to load Terrabyte Size copy tasks and I just assume MS would be even worse?

I did go ahead and just stop the check/fix program and just got back to a bare disk, check disked it, and recopied the files. I have since unplugged it and restarted a few times. No glitches so far. I do assume the disk is A-OK and it was my computer coughing up a hair ball given I am always multi-tasking and overloading it.

I'm just about to build my system for VR and will be using I-7, 6 core, 8700. I salivate hoping that much power will resolve all my issues...............and create new ones only in VR?

Thanks.

bobbo123

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Can't tell where this is going to post, so I'll copy it here:

"Even with TeraCopy, I find it safer to "clump"-copy :) "

I agree. "copy" tasks are not risky in my experience. Something fails.......as it did with me on this issue.... and your original files are still in place. Teracopy is just easier to "follow" what it is doing...... or what it has failed on.

This issue highlights maybe the most important reminder: never "move" files. Always copy them, then delete as desired. That way, files "should not" get lost.............thumbs crossed.