What should I think about upgrading?

Midgitwarrior

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
My current build is good enough for playing modern games at a suitable framerate, but when should be my primary concern for upgrading first.

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050TI
RAM:8GB DDR4
PSU: 400W
Motherboard: MSI H110M

This will be primarily for gaming, with the top priority being BF1 but any and all games aswell like AC Origins and shadow of war.

jgustin7b

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
You quite literally have my exact setup, except I only have the regular gtx 1050. I think a cpu upgrade would be at the top of the list, and then the gpu. Otherwise, your choice.

So right now you have a very balanced build.
Up the CPU and the GPU wont be able to take advantage of it, up the gpu and the CPU wont be able to do anything with it.
More memory is always good, but A) prices are through the roof right now, and B) your games wont really utilize it with current hardware.
You also have the problem where 400w is just a little under powered for a 1060 (and that is assuming you have a top quality 400w and not a budget psu).

So what I would do is just save up and try to do CPU/GPU/PSU around the same time.
Would try for an i5 + GTX 1060 + 500+ watt PSU (Seasonic S!2 520 or corsair cx550 are best bang-for-buck psu's right now).
Then latter after prices drop down, if you are running out of memory then upgrade to 16gb.

Consider an upgrade when your current rig does not do the job you want.
Games are limited either by cpu or graphics.

You have many cpu upgrades available with your motherboard.

On the graphics side, a gpu upgrade will probably need a stronger psu.
I might have used a stronger psu initially to account for that possibility.

Unless you are multitasking while gaming, 8gb is ok.

Midgitwarrior

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
Ok I will keep an eye out for an i5 CPU, most likely a 1060 6GB and definitely a PSU upgrade to buy together to get the best performance together instead of stitching together these components for moderate FPS increase

Agree it would be good to do cpu & gpu at the same time but I do think a cpu upgrade is more important especially as you want to play BF1. Going to 16Gb RAM will also help with BF1.

BF1 and a few other modern games are very cpu heavy and even higher end i5's cannot always hold 60fps minimum. At least with the gpu if you are not getting the fps you want you can drop game settings but this doesn't really work with the cpu or dropping settings will only help the cpu a little. I think good steady framerates at a lower game setting will be more enjoyable than lower unstable fps at higher settings. If you do upgrade the cpu I would only consider i7's, the increase from an i5's isn't big enough in my view.