calibrating the Dell S2417DG

droekel

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017
So I just got the new S2417DG and I had heard that it needed some manual calibrating so i looked it up and found this guide:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dell-s2417dg-24-inch-165hz-g-sync-gaming-monitor,4788-3.html

However, I don't seem to understand it :(. It tells me to put the cd/m2 on 200 but I don't know what that means and there is no setting for it. I know it has something to do with the brightness but I don't know what. I do read somewhere to achieve 200 cd/m2 i have to put the brightness on 8. this monitor has a 0-100% slider. I doubt they mean 8%?

I would really appreciate some simple settings:
r g b values I followed as in the guide but as far as the sliders for brightness and contrast I don't know what to do. I would prefer to just know how much on 0-100 on the slider i should put contrast and brightness :).

Then it talks about gamma but I see no option to change this on the monitor either.

droekel

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from droekel : "calibrating the Dell S2417DG"

I followed the guide from this site but I don't seem to understand it.

It tells me to put the cd/m2 on 200 but I don't know what that means and there is no setting for it. I know it has something to do with the brightness but I don't know what. I do read somewhere to achieve 200 cd/m2 i have to put the brightness on 8. this monitor has a 0-100% slider. I doubt they mean 8%? or is it? The contrast had to be around 67 from what I read.

r g b values I followed as in the guide.

When it talks about gamma I see no option to change this on the monitor. I can do it in Nvidia settings but its a setting between 0 and 3. I looked up some online calibration help to check my gamma and even the windows calibration tool but they all say basicly my gamma is way too high, even still when on the lowest setting I see the dots in the gamma tool. On other tests like this: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gamma_calibration.php, I only see 1 color by squinting when i go to the lowest gamma setting and even then its around the 1.6 mark, not near the 2.2.

I now have Brightness on +37%, contast on +50% and gamma on +0.75%, digital vibrance on +50%.

This seems to be the most close compared to that test from "Lagom" on Gamma but I have no idea if that is any good.
For instance, the taskbar now seems almost brown and not purple ish like on my other display.