Will clean Windows 10 install from ISO remove all my files?

jamie.hutchinson

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017
My PC is stuck in a reboot loop so I can't access it to back up any files. I was running Windows 10 and have been recommended to do a clean install, I have a Windows 10 iso on a USB stick.

When i try to boot from the USB it says 'It looks as though you started an upgrade and booted from installation media. If you want to continue with the upgrade, remove the media from your PC and click yes. If you want to perform a clean installation instead, click No.' When i click yes it just starts the process again and gets stuck in the reboot process as normal, however i'm worried that a clean installation will delete all my files? Look forward to any help, thanks

Solution
Yes, a clean installation will delete all existing data if you have it on the same partition.

If the data is worth the effort I would make a Mint32 Live stick using THIS free tool that will download and create the USB stick with a few simple selections, then you can boot from the stick, mount your HDD, and pull off files as needed. Really not difficult if the files are worth some effort.

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, a clean installation will delete all existing data if you have it on the same partition.

If the data is worth the effort I would make a Mint32 Live stick using THIS free tool that will download and create the USB stick with a few simple selections, then you can boot from the stick, mount your HDD, and pull off files as needed. Really not difficult if the files are worth some effort.

Solution

jamie.hutchinson

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017

Hi, would this be different to the USB stick software i made using Rufus? Some files are really important so will definitely be worth the effort, thanks

RealBeast

Titan
The Rufus stick is an installer, the Mint Live stick is the full OS that you boot from off the USB without any write to the HDD and then you mount it after Mint is running. You will have the best odds of removing files going with the Live Linux (in this case Mint) route.