Single display KVM switch to two monitors

loqq18

Prominent
Dec 11, 2017
I have 3 computers that I would like to switch between. I bought an HDMI KVM switch and hooked everything up. I ran the HDMI output of the KVM switch into an HDMI splitter and then into my two monitors.

The problem is none of the computers will recognize that there are two monitors hooked up. Is there a way to get the computer to use both monitors (extended displays) and not display the same thing twice? (I tried windows P and it does nothing)

Jan 5, 2018

I came here hoping to solve a very similar problem. I have two Samsung monitors, a Mac Pro desktop and a Thinkpad. I was hoping to switch between the two computers, using the two monitors as an extended display whenever I use each computer. The closest thing I can come up with right now is using a docking station for the laptop and HDMI jumpers for the Mac so that I don't destroy my video card unplugging and replugging all the time.

You can't use splitters if you want to use extended displays. You need to use a high end KVM like this: https://www.startech.com/Server-Management/KVM-Switches/4-Port-Triple-Monitor-DVI-USB-KVM-Switch~SV431TDVIUA. This one will support 3 monitors and 4 PCs.