Using a 4k tv as my monitor.

j-lor

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
Im currently using a Sony 55" Xbr-55C810C as a monitor and im running a 1080 ti. Am i getting the most out of my rig or should i upgrade to a ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q 27?

Solution
Depends on the rest of your hardware.

If you are playing fast FPS games then yes you will gain a more smooth gameplay with the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q monitor.

If you are playing Sim City, StarCraft or a game like Skyrim then you will not see mutch of a difference.

High refresh rate on a monitor only helps out when you play fast paste games.

Or...

If your current TV gives you a headache then a monitor with high refresh rate can sometimes get rid of the problem. Not always but sometimes.
Depends on the rest of your hardware.

If you are playing fast FPS games then yes you will gain a more smooth gameplay with the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q monitor.

If you are playing Sim City, StarCraft or a game like Skyrim then you will not see mutch of a difference.

High refresh rate on a monitor only helps out when you play fast paste games.

Or...

If your current TV gives you a headache then a monitor with high refresh rate can sometimes get rid of the problem. Not always but sometimes.

Solution

j-lor

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013

I don't really play fps, i play games more llike skyrim and starcraft. Should i just keep using my tv or would i benifit more with a better monitor? Here's my pc build. 1080 ti icx Asus v maximus formula Cooler master 850 watts crucial Mx100 250
gb ssd 1 tb seagate hd Blu ray player intel core 17-3770k

Connor_46

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017
Honestly, even Skyrim will be much nicer to play at higher FPS.

Not to force you hand into buying something you may not really need. I bought an Acer Predator XB271HU about a year ago and going from 60hz to 165hz is like night and day now. Maybe don't upgrade unless your comfortable not going back because for me 60hz is a no go now. I'd compare the difference from Standard Definition to High Definition. It's not something you'll want to go back to after you've seen 100+ fps.

brandxbeer

Honorable
Oct 13, 2014
My cousin has a really nice asus rog gsync 2k 144 htz monitor, with a 1080ti. I play on it all the time, and don't really notice the high frames. I was really disappointed after hearing every one say how big of a difference it was to 60 fps. The only thing I noticed was that it wasn't in 4k.

Connor_46

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017

High fps is much more noticeable in games with a first person perspective where you are turning the camera a lot. Maybe he doesn't have the games running at a very high fps. It doesn't matter how high the refresh rate is on the monitor if he's barely getting 60fps anyways.

I upgraded my GPU from a 1070 to a 1080ti after buying my 165hz monitor because the difference was enough to make me want to take full advantage of it.

Not to discredit your post because that's your opinion but games running at 100+fps vs 60fps is hugely noticeable for me, even in RTS games like Warhammer.

brandxbeer

Honorable
Oct 13, 2014

He has a 1080 ti and mostly plays bf1. I'm just saying I didn't notice the high refresh rate and gsync as much as the fact it wasn't in 4k. I've been gaming exclusively in 4k for a couple of years, but like you said it's my opinion.

brandxbeer

Honorable
Oct 13, 2014

He has a 1080 ti and mostly plays bf1. I'm just saying I didn't notice the high refresh rate and gsync as much as the fact it wasn't in 4k. I've been gaming exclusively in 4k for a couple of years, but like you said it's my opinion.