How to I load windows 10 onto my SSD? Help

jonahuelsman

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017
I have windows 10 on a 16gb flash drive using rufus and an iso file from media creation tool. I am wondering how to install windows 10 onto my ssd that I have now. I know that I need to boot off of the USB with just the new SSD plugged in but I am not sure where to go after that step. Help would be greatly appreciated

Solution
When you boot from the usb drive, it will ask if you want a clean install or an upgrade.
You want the clean install option.
Then you will have options to erase all partitions on the drive first.
You should do that also since you have nothing you want to keep on the ssd.

When you install windows on the ssd, it is important to leave the HDD disconnected.

You can reattach it later and all your files will be there.
Apps that used the registry(which is now empty) will need to be reinstalled, but data folders are all there.

If you have the HDD connected during the install, windows will place some hidden recovery partitions on it making it all but impossible to remove the hdd later or run without it connected.

jonahuelsman

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017

thank you! I still plan on using my current HDD as a storage device. Will I need to wipe that clean then restore it from a back up?

When you boot from the usb drive, it will ask if you want a clean install or an upgrade.
You want the clean install option.
Then you will have options to erase all partitions on the drive first.
You should do that also since you have nothing you want to keep on the ssd.

When you install windows on the ssd, it is important to leave the HDD disconnected.

You can reattach it later and all your files will be there.
Apps that used the registry(which is now empty) will need to be reinstalled, but data folders are all there.

If you have the HDD connected during the install, windows will place some hidden recovery partitions on it making it all but impossible to remove the hdd later or run without it connected.

Solution

jonahuelsman

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017

Thank you. This helps tremendously. I am also upgrading my motherboard so should i wait to do this until I switch motherboards?

USAFRet

Titan

Start here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3567655/clean-installation-windows.html