Dual monitor problems

robertmanin

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017
I have a 4K TV connected to my PC that I game on and a 1080P monitor connected to my PC that I work on.

I mirror the screens to that they both display the same image.

Most of the time this works flawlessly but I’m currently playing Dishonored 2.
In the game settings only a maximum of 1080P resolution is optioned.
If I unplug my monitor and restart the game and then check the menu settings 4K resolution is available.
However, if I plug the monitor back in the game displays back at the 1080P setting the next time it is restarted.

Now obviously I don’t want to keep pulling out the cable from the back of the PC, is there a better solution available?

PC Specs:
MSI Z87-G55 Intel LGA1150 Z87 ATX Motherboard (4x DDR3, 6x USB 3, 8x USB 2, GBE, LAN, VGA, HDMI, DVI)

Intel Core i5 4670K Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 3.40GHz, 6MB, Haswell, 84W

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Ballistix Sport 8 GB Single DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) UDIMM 240-Pin Memory (Two sticks 16GB)

Corsair CP-9020090-UK RM550X 550 W ATX/EPS Fully Modular Power Supply Unit

NZXT Phantom 410 Case - white

Solution
Mirrored mode should only work at the maximum resolution of the lowest resolution monitor. I don't see how the 1080p monitor would ever function at 4K. Are you sure the 4K display isn't always at 1920x1080?

Anyways, make the 4K TV your main display in Display Settings. Switch from Duplicate to Extend quickly via keyboard shortcut. Click the Windows Key + P at the same time on your keyboard. This brings up a quick choice menu. Where you can switch from Duplicate to Extend. Then launch the game.

Mark RM

Admirable
The fix is actually with the game devs.

The only thing I can think of doing on widows is selecting the TV to display "on this screen only" before starting the game, effectively turning off output to the 1080p monitor before you get rolling.

Mirrored mode should only work at the maximum resolution of the lowest resolution monitor. I don't see how the 1080p monitor would ever function at 4K. Are you sure the 4K display isn't always at 1920x1080?

Anyways, make the 4K TV your main display in Display Settings. Switch from Duplicate to Extend quickly via keyboard shortcut. Click the Windows Key + P at the same time on your keyboard. This brings up a quick choice menu. Where you can switch from Duplicate to Extend. Then launch the game.

Solution

robertmanin

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017

Wait, are tou are you saying that I’ve never been playing at 4K resolution on my TV all the time my 1080P monitor has been connected and the display has been Dulplicated?

BTW, I did as you guys suggested and I can now play in 4K but it’s a bit of a pain having to switch screens (W+P) back and forth all the time. Particularly since I don’t have a keyboard at hand on the couch. Shame Windows can’t do this automatically for me when it detects the screen being used...

Yes, not unless the 1920x1080 monitor is somehow able to downscale the 4K signal. If you go into Display Settings with them in Duplicate (mirrored) mode. They should be listed as one monitor 1|2 rather than a separate 1 and 2. See what the resolution options are. If 4K (3840x2160) is an option and you aren't getting severe cropping on the 1920x1080 monitor. Somehow it is able to downscale.