Why the 1050 wins over the 1050 TI

99Shazz

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
So I just got a answer in my head that said the 1050 is better. How? I've seen a LOT of benchmarks proving that the 1050 TI is better. But I took it to the next level when I where looking on the market. People that buy a 1050 of any kind are two kinds of people. The ones that bought a prebuildt rig and finally understands they need a video card. Then there are people like me building a new gaming PC. The two kind of people are in common is that they will play e-sports titles like CS-GO and want a smooth 60 fps experience. We look at the Nvidia side and there are two cards. The 1050 and the TI and both will get well over 60 fps on games like CS-GO. The only difference is that the TI version does it but with higher FPS. Like me I am on a budget on around 500 dollars (only computer parts not including new keyboard). We often have a 1080p monitor with 60Hz not a 4K monitor with G-Sync and 144Hz because we are on a budget that doesn't allow us to buy that. We will only SEE 60 FPS not the 100-150 FPS our video card is pulling put.

So this is why the 1050 wins. It's better optimized to the market with a lower price.If you really want to play triple a titles then you shpuld go for the 1060 6bg version or maybe even a 1070.

If you have anything to say just put it down in the comments and let's have a discussion about this!

You are right in the context of FPS per dollar, no arguments with that :)
I was building back in Sep, and I was having the same debate between the two, I finally decided on 1050. 1 reason is at most ~10% diff in FPS, but cost was ~40-50% diff, I got my 1050 for $102 after rebate while 1050 ti is well over $150 at that time. CSGO is not that GPU intensive, so 1050 ti is not a huge improvement anyway, partly due to monitor constraints. People prefer 1050 ti is for AAA games, it can still play under med settings for ~60FPS while 1050 may struggle. However, you don't need that for CSGO, totally fine :)

The 1050 may be better in your situation, but believe it or not, not everyone plays CSGO. Plus, with a budget of $500, you can build a rig with a 1050ti. For a gaming rig, you really want to get the best GPU you can afford because it will have the biggest impact on performance.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CRRpqk
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CRRpqk/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($109.86 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-D3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($66.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($91.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba - P300 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.88 @ Other World Computing)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GAMING X 4G Video Card ($159.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($23.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $492.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-12 10:21 EST-0500

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Better value for money? maybe

Its arguable that the 1050 ti could prove better value in the long term, as its additional performance and more vram could mean its relevant for longer, meaning you dont have to upgrade as soon as you would with a regular 2gb 1050.

Earlier this year, I wouldn't have even bothered recommending a 1050 Ti unless it was to upgrade a prebuilt system with a low-wattage ~300 watt PSU that couldn't handle anything more. At that time, you could spend slightly more to get a much more powerful card like a Radeon RX 470 or 480 4GB, and some RX 480s could occasionally be found for as little as $150-$160 after rebate. Despite costing a little less at the time, the 1050 Ti offered relatively poor performance per dollar compared to AMD's offerings.

But around the time AMD launched their RX 500 series refresh, their mid-range cards started getting bought up for cryptocurrency mining, resulting in shortages and skyrocketing prices, nearly doubling the cost of those cards over a short period of time. The cost of GTX 1060s climbed a fair amount as well, and soon you couldn't find any graphics cards better than a 1050 Ti without paying significantly more. The price of 1050 Tis climbed a bit as well, but they became a more popular choice, since there was no longer anything faster to compete with them anywhere near their price range. Many people who would have otherwise bought an RX 570, 580, or GTX 1060 ended up going with the next closest thing within their budget, which was the 1050 Ti.

The prices of most graphics cards have been slowly coming back down since this summer, but they are still all priced higher than they were earlier this year. The lowest-priced mid-range card from AMD, the RX 570, is still close to $250 for performance that's not quite as good as what the RX 480 offered for well under $200 earlier this year. So the 1050 Ti has no real competition that can outperform it near its price range, and it's prices remain above what they were when the card launched. There is also the RX 560, but it's competing more with the 1050 in terms of average performance.

I would agree that the 1050 offers better performance per dollar than the 1050 Ti, but nvidia also limits them to having only 2GB of VRAM, which might potentially have more of an impact on future games. Then again, you could always put the ~$40+ you save toward a future card, perhaps when there are better value mid-range options available. And of course, some GTX 1060 3GBs can once again be found for not much more than $200 after rebate, and the performance difference between one of those and a 1050 Ti should be much greater than the difference between a 1050 Ti and a 1050.

I've always thought of it this way: If you are on a tight budget, get the 1050. If you have the money for something better, get a 1060.

The 1050 Ti is a niche product. If you need the fastest card that runs with no 6 pin connector, get a 1050 Ti.

This was before cryptocurrency mining screwed up videocard prices. Inflated prices on certain cards made the 1050 Ti look better in comparison.