720p Laptop display overclocking

trollzhxtroll

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017
I know that overclocking a display isn't a very good idea, but I still did it and now my personal laptop is running fine at 70Hz since last week.
I was just thinking if I should put it back at 60 Hz when I work and put 70 Hz when I play games. I think than if I do too much over-down clocking, I would break my display.
I have now 3 choices:
1) Keep 70 Hz
2) Go back to 60 Hz
3) Keep switching refresh rates work/games

Solution
Leave it at 70 if that works best for you - - pointless to keep changing it back and forth.

Setting too high a refresh-rate used to be risky with the now redundant external CRT monitors, but much less so with modern LCD screens which simply go blank if set too high, until refresh-rate is lowered again.

70Hz is nothing unusual anyway.

Leave it at 70 if that works best for you - - pointless to keep changing it back and forth.

Setting too high a refresh-rate used to be risky with the now redundant external CRT monitors, but much less so with modern LCD screens which simply go blank if set too high, until refresh-rate is lowered again.

70Hz is nothing unusual anyway.

Solution

There is one reason you might want to leave a display at 60Hz on the desktop. If you are watching 60fps videos, which are becoming common on sites like youtube, they will tend to appear smoother when your screen is also refreshing at 60Hz. At 70Hz, or other values that 60 doesn't divide evenly into, some frames will need to remain on screen for two refresh cycles, which can result in a bit of microstuttering. This will effect 30fps videos as well, but will likely be less noticeable, since the frames will be displayed for 2 to 3 refresh cycles, which is a smaller relative difference (+50%) than the 1 to 2 at 60fps (+100%).

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
I use to have a 1080p 60hz monitor I overclocked to 75hz and left it there for years, still works fine today. I think increasing the refresh rate does increase heat output of the display marginally, but I doubt it will be enough to harm the display. I have never seen or even heard of someone damaging an LCD display by overclocking, just a lot of people saying you could damage it.

No doubt all very interesting, (and most likely correct) but it's a laptop we're discussing here - :sarcastic:

Are you being serious, or not serious? : P

In any case, I'm referring to applications running on the "Windows desktop", as opposed to full-screen games. Not a "desktop" as in a "desktop computer". The refresh rate of the screen should behave similarly with a mismatched frame rate in prerecorded videos whether you're on a desktop or a laptop computer. : D