Getting 60 fps on a 4k TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkline

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
So, I do a lot of gaming on my TV rather than PC. I have a long HDMI cable going from my video card to the TV and a bluetooth xbox controller and it works great. I just invested in a 65” 4K TV and it came last night. It’s supposed to be able to do 60hz for 4K content. I plugged in my PC, but can only get it to play at 30hz. Well, I only tried 1 game, The Division, but I’m assuming the rest will be the same. My TV is a Samsung MU6300 65”. I set it to Game Mode (and also tried normal TV & HDR+ modes too but the input lag sucked). Basically what happens is I go into the game settings, and switch the refresh rate to 60hz. When I do that the screen switches and then when it comes back, everything is green. I can still make out the text on the screen and can switch it back. I’ve also tried something like 59.9something or other. Same result.

Is it maybe my video card? I have a 1070 (not Ti) that’s a little over a year old, but it’s also running my PC display that’s a 1440p ultra wide. Is it just too many pixels for it to handle?

The game still looks great and I have no trouble playing at 30 fps with all my settings maxed in 4k. I was just curious to see if I could get it to 60fps maybe if I lowered some settings.

Solution

Your GPU and CPU have nothing to do with your 4k TV only running at 30hz. Your 1070 is more than enough to run basic 2D applications at 4k/60hz. Your CPU has even less of an impact on 4k processes because when you move up into higher resolution, the GPU becomes the bottleneck and not the CPU.

The issue here is why you don't want to use a TV as a monitor. TV manufactures boast bogus refresh rates through tacky...
On the GPU side, GPU not powerful enough, 1080 is needed for moderate settings and 1080ti is needed for Ultra setting with AAA games.
However, if it is capped at 30 Hz, it could be the old HDMI cable that limits it to 30FPS. You may want to get a good new HDMI cable to see 30+, some guide: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ObBlpSiGsM0/learn/learningcenter/home/cables/hdmi.html

In short, get HDMI 2.0, HDMI 1.4 will cap it to 30FPS.

tkline

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
Thanks for the tips, I'll try playing around some more tonight. I know my video card isn't quite good enough, but my bank is broke for now .. I was thinking I'd be better off waiting till the next gen of cards come out.. it'll probably take me that long to save up anyway :)

tkline

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
Also, I have everything connected to my home theater receiver, and just 1 HDMI cable going to the tv from there. I think my receiver can only do HDMI 1.4. I'll try going directly to the TV now, maybe that's all I needed to do?

That is a distinct possibility. Too bad TV's don't have display ports.

tkline

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
Well I tried plugging directly into the TV, and all different picture modes (Game mode, Movie, Standard, HDR, etc). Seems the TV can only do 30 FPS from my PC. But, it may still be something with my PC and not the TV, maybe it's just too many pixels for my 1070. My CPU is also a little older, it's a 6th gen i5.

And worse, if I plug directly into the TV, I can't get the receiver to do 5.1 or 7.1 surround, only stereo. Yet the TV's apps like Netflix are 5.1. Weird. I tried the HDMI ARC connection and also a separate optical cable going to the receiver, both would only do stereo. So I'm just gonna go back to connecting through the receiver, easier that way anyway. I don't mind 30fps, and I don't really see it dropping below that at all when I play stuff even with ultra settings. I have AA turned off and edges still looks nice and smooth at 4K, so maybe having that off is helping the FPS stay at an even 30. Good enough for me for now, when the next gen of video cards come out I'll look into upgrading then, they should be able to handle 4K a lot better than now.

Your GPU and CPU have nothing to do with your 4k TV only running at 30hz. Your 1070 is more than enough to run basic 2D applications at 4k/60hz. Your CPU has even less of an impact on 4k processes because when you move up into higher resolution, the GPU becomes the bottleneck and not the CPU.

The issue here is why you don't want to use a TV as a monitor. TV manufactures boast bogus refresh rates through tacky marketing ploys like True Motion nonsense. They say your TV runs at 120hz when in actuality, it is running at 60 or 30 real hz. I looked up your TV and it gives some BS "120" number but does not exactly say it is 120hz refresh, or 60hz for that matter. I have a 4k TV and cannot, for the life of me, get mine to run at 60hz when I hook it up to a computer.

The point is, don't go out and get a new GPU and expect your TV to suddenly give you 60hz. Because this issue is with the TV and not the GPU.

Solution

tkline

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking too. Makes me wonder if game consoles would fare better than a PC on a 4K TV? I think I read the Xbox One X can do 60 fps? Either way though the pc gaming is good enough for me for now. Maybe future models will have better support in the next few years.

TVs are not monitors. Monitors are much more expensive but also have much better picture and features. I don't know of any TV's that have adaptive sync technology. I don't know of any TV's that have 144hz refresh rate panels.

I say this as a PC gamer and I may get "beat up" for this. But if you want to game on your couch on a 4k TV, the Xbox One X is a really good option for $500. Considering a 1080ti is what is needed for 4k/60hz and it starts at $700. But the there are downfalls. There is only one thing the xbox can do, and that is game. Games are higher and there are subscription services for online play. Microsoft sales are no where near steam sales. There are games that just play better on PC too.

Status
Not open for further replies.