New monitor LG 24MB56HQ too bright and tiring for my eyes. Calibration Help?

johnyskar

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017
Hello, 5 days ago i got a new monitor and made the transition from my 7-year Samsung Syncmaster 2243sn to a LG 24MB56HQ. I wanted something better but also budget so i chose this model. I decided that i would try an IPS and little bigger screen (from 21.5" to 23.8") intended for everyday use and Gaming included(initial reason of upgrading, i also switched gpu).

Now i know that it's a big difference switching from a 7 years old TN screen to a bigger, different Brand and technology and it needs getting used to.. But it really tires my eyes from day one. I first thought that it's because of the size but i realized it's the intense and vivid lighting and specifically the White colours.

The default setting was like a freakin Lightbulb for a dark room. Brightness was 100/100 and Contrast 90/100. I am no expert at this and monitor versions in general, so i read somewhere that for this model it's suggested to set the RGB to 50-43-45 but other than that... darkness. Everyday i am trying different settings with no good result. It still brings me headaches and makes my eyes hurt. Currently i have Brightness at 15 and Contrast at 70. I tried them both around 40-50 but it's too bright. On the other hand when low it makes the colours a little washed out and text blurrier. But aside from the afternoon that i have a lamp on, at night that the room is dark it's pretty tiring. I never had this problem with the previous monitor for all this time and in this circumstances.

So if anyone has feedback for this specific model or a similar IPS sized calibration, i would appreciate it while my eyes can still read it. Some more info:

-I also tried the Windows colour adjustment
-I tried 1920x1080 resolution(previously 1280x960 fit me), but it's too small and don't like the icons and text enlargment result, so i am trying 1600x900 and 1440x900.
-I also lowered brightness in Nvidia Control Panel but i think it's too much, and messed a litte with vivid enhancement but reset it to default.
-Full RGP is on in the panel settings.
-I installed Flux and it makes the screen warm but so frequent adjustments and orange-yellow screen i don't think is a good solution for me eyes.
-I have Response time set at High and Black level also at High(at low it's too dark and washed out).
-Default Sharpness was 5, i made it 4. i leave the Default Gamma1 cause i didn't like the others, neither lowering the Gamma bar.
-I have Super Resolution Option Off, Energy Saving also Off, and Preset at PC(other is AV) and User. Cinema is similar to user, and Game mode very cold.
-I try to have little more distance than before, but i am still close(about 70-80 cm), anyway other people i know have 27" monitors and are still 1 meter or less far so distance should not be the biggest issue here.
-I checked a youtue black video for IPS Glow/ Backlight Bleed but i don't think it's the problem. Screen gets lighter or darker depending on angle, i didn't notice this before but maybe it's cause it was smaller so i didn't noticed colour changes.
-I can't connect my old monitor too compare or use cause it's VGA only. That's the reason i got a new one. I also asked and can't return the new.

Sorry for the longread and any mistakes. I think i said more than enough to avoid obvious questions, any advice is welcomed.

Solution
I would suggest that you use the monitor native resolution and use the Windows display control panel to use either Medium or Larger for the text and other items, I had to go with Larger (150%) on my 27 inch. You will get used to the view after a bit of use and the pixels will be sharper and reduce eye strain for longer use.

As for the brightness, I would reset all settings to factory and then try the two levels of super energy saving available in the function setting. (it automatically dims the monitor backlight somewhat) From there you can further bump the brightness down as needed. If you don't get good results from Windows color calibration you will need to try a software calibration like QuickGamma, but not until you have the...

RealBeast

Titan
I would suggest that you use the monitor native resolution and use the Windows display control panel to use either Medium or Larger for the text and other items, I had to go with Larger (150%) on my 27 inch. You will get used to the view after a bit of use and the pixels will be sharper and reduce eye strain for longer use.

As for the brightness, I would reset all settings to factory and then try the two levels of super energy saving available in the function setting. (it automatically dims the monitor backlight somewhat) From there you can further bump the brightness down as needed. If you don't get good results from Windows color calibration you will need to try a software calibration like QuickGamma, but not until you have the brightness where you want it.

Changing monitors is often a visual challenge, it took me a lot of time and adjustments just going from an old pair of Dell 27 inch IPS to a new pair last year. But I finally got them usable and comfortable and hopefully you will too.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS