Asus PG279Q - How bad is my Backlight Bleeding?

Rainzord

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2014
So recently I bought the infamous and expensive Asus PG279Q. It had really great specs on paper and I was really excited to open it.

After receiving it, I started reading even deeper into the reviews, and SO many people write about IPS Glow and Blacklight Bleeding, I was wondering - is my monitor in acceptable range?

I think my monitor is from recent manufacturing date since it arrived the store only on November 2017.

I ran the test in http://www.lightbleedtest.com/ and I'm not sure how to identify BLB on my screen and it's driving me nuts.

I took picture of my monitor in dark, while Brightness was set to about 80 IIRC:

https://imgur.com/a/pQr3Q

Bear in mind that for some reason the screen seems a lot brighter in the picture than in reality so I'm sorry if it makes it difficult to differentiate BLB or not.

I was wondering, does my monitor has a bad case of BLB? Should I look to replace it?

Otherwise I'm really satisified with the monitor, it works well with my 1080ti and i7 7700k. I kept my old 1920x1200 60hz monitor in case I will need to RMA this one depends on the answers I get here.

Thank you so much for your time and knowledge.

Solution
BLB will be always there on monitors like PG279Q but it is not always visible to human eyes.
The best way to judge if the BLB is bad or not is only by using bare eyes, not cameras.
Using cameras, BLB will be like almost there all the time.
The longer you set the the shutter time, the more visible it will be.
Using camera, BLB is there although you can not see the BLB using your bare eyes.

BLB varies from monitor to monitor even from the same type.
144/165hz IPS technology is new and the production is somehow not yet stable.
The RMA rate is quite high on these monitors.
Some people even have to go through several RMA to find relative problem free samples.

...and..do not mistake IPS glow as BLB... BLB will be always visible and the form...
Image will not give you any information how bad is it. Camera in automode will capture light longer to compensate for low lumen amount, thus making it brighter than you see it. Have you checked reviews of this monitor ? I would look there for possible tests and follow my own gut. If it's a problem and I see it, then replace If i'm fine then why bother drilling further ?

Rainzord

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2014

I was using Galaxy S7 to take the picture. From what I read on the internet, it shouldn't really affect that much to see BLB in a picture taken like that, I'm just not sure if I see absolutely zero BLB or I'm just missing the obviously lots of BLB... Looking for someone who knows how it should look like and tell me whether I'm missing the obvious or I have nothing to worry about.

Edit:

What settings I should change on my Galaxy S7 so that it won't capture light longer to compensate for low lumen? I can take another picture without that option on so it might give a better picture which can help decide better whats my BLB.

Don't do backlight bleeding test using camera.
Use your eyes!
For cameras, the longer time you use for the shutter time, the worse the backlight bleed will be on the picture.
If you do see bad backlight bleeding using your eyes, RMA it! This is a common issue for monitors like PG279Q, XB270HU, XB271HU, etc.

Rainzord

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2014

That's the thing though... I really can't seem to identify any BLB AT ALL. This seems too weird reading all the reviews in the net, to a point I think I just don't know how to identify it well.

Pictures of BLB on the net of the same monitor do show BLB clearly... Do you think I can change settings on my phone to give a more fitting picture that would disclose better to you guys if I have BLB or not? S7 got a pretty quality camera so i doubt it can't be use to capture BLB.

BLB will be always there on monitors like PG279Q but it is not always visible to human eyes.
The best way to judge if the BLB is bad or not is only by using bare eyes, not cameras.
Using cameras, BLB will be like almost there all the time.
The longer you set the the shutter time, the more visible it will be.
Using camera, BLB is there although you can not see the BLB using your bare eyes.

BLB varies from monitor to monitor even from the same type.
144/165hz IPS technology is new and the production is somehow not yet stable.
The RMA rate is quite high on these monitors.
Some people even have to go through several RMA to find relative problem free samples.

...and..do not mistake IPS glow as BLB... BLB will be always visible and the form will not change as you change the viewing angle.

Use a black/dark background in a dark room to check BLB easier. Use your eyes to see BLB.
If the BLB is really bad, you should see white marks very clearly, especially (usually) near the screen edges.

if the BLB is bad, just RMA it, don't break your head for it.

Solution

Rainzord

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2014

OK then!

Thanks for the detailed response.

Then, judging from what you wrote (and observing pictures from the internet that clearly show BLB examples) my monitor has no BLB at all, or at very minimal amounts that cannot be distinguished, and so I should be happy with what I got and stop trying to find faults where they don't exist because of the internet panic over it.

I will try to take another picture of my monitor when I get back home without long exposure and to post it here later to see if someone disagrees with what I wrote.