Why does when I do a clean format and windows installation, my other drive asks me for permission to open the folders?

asdgw

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2014
Why does when I do a clean format and windows installation, my other drive asks me for permission to open the folders?

Solution
there are several way to attempt this.
I would try starting windows explorer to bring up the list of files, then find the drive you want to change, then right mouse click to bring up the properties dialog, select the security tab and give all users full rights to the root of the drive and all of the subdirectories. I think the files system has some generic groups for "Everyone" and it should carry over to a new install of windows.

I think you might also be able to use the Icacls.exe command and reset the access control lists but it has been years since I used the command so you would have to check the command format.

most people would just run the takeown command on the root of the drive and have it recurse through all of the...
when you create a username windows creates a security identifier for that username.
when files are put on the drive they are tagged for ownership with the security identifier (SID)

when you reinstall windows your username gets a brand new SID, then when you look a old file created by the previous username (SID) it will not match and you will have to take ownership of the file to access it.

the info is stored in the file system as part of its access control. This method is used to prevent someone from booting your machine with a boot disk and reading your files without taking ownership of the files first. There is no way to give ownership back to a SID.

there are several way to attempt this.
I would try starting windows explorer to bring up the list of files, then find the drive you want to change, then right mouse click to bring up the properties dialog, select the security tab and give all users full rights to the root of the drive and all of the subdirectories. I think the files system has some generic groups for "Everyone" and it should carry over to a new install of windows.

I think you might also be able to use the Icacls.exe command and reset the access control lists but it has been years since I used the command so you would have to check the command format.

most people would just run the takeown command on the root of the drive and have it recurse through all of the files and give the ownership to the new user SID.

FAT and FAT32 file system would not have the access control lists and protections that NTFS has.
maybe google "how to remove ACL from NTFS files"
to get a powershell script to remove the Access control lists

Solution