I'm a novice building a $1100 gaming PC, and I need advice

Hello!

For Christmas, I'm bundling up all of the money that I can spare to buy myself parts for a shiny new gaming PC.
And while I do have some experience putting together computers. I'm definitely not the best at picking which parts to use.

to make a long story short, I need yall's opinions and advice on what I could do to make this build better without going over the $1100 price tag

you can find the parts list here

Thank you in advance!
12 answers Last reply
More about novice building 1100 gaming advice
  1. your link is bad.
  2. vapour said:
    your link is bad.

I think I fixed it? I think I cut the link in two while typing this
  3. 1. Those cables are already included in PSU, no need.

2. Old gen I5 is not recommended with coffee lake come out.

3. Do you need OS?
  4. Spending 60$ on sleeved cables and getting 3gb 1060 ...
    Also non-K CPU on Z board (and 6th gen on top of that).

My guess your priority is good looks over good FPS.
  5. vapour said:
    1. Those cables are already included in PSU, no need.

2. Old gen I5 is not recommended with coffee lake come out.

3. Do you need OS?

1. I'm adding the cable extensions so that the inside looks cleaner. But It could be removed
    2. how do I tell whether or not it is a next-gen or an old gen?
    3. I have a Hard drive that I plan on installing that has windows already installed
  6. DRagor said:
    Spending 60$ on sleeved cables and getting 3gb 1060 ...
    Also non-K CPU on Z board (and 6th gen on top of that).

My guess your priority is good looks over good FPS.

What would you recommend instead?
    EDIT: I think I fixed the motherboard issue? The graphics card is going to have to stay, I WISH I could drop another $200 for a 6gb, but I have a Hard Limit
  7. If you are getting 7th gen cpu, get 200 series board
  8. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.89 @ B&H)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 HD3 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($199.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($124.50 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 580 8GB DUAL Video Card ($269.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.90 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1033.15
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-13 17:24 EST-0500
  9. rgd1101 said:
    If you are getting 7th gen cpu, get 200 series board
    Fixed
  10. I would dump the 7600K for the newer much much better performing i5 8600k
    maybe even look at this ASRock - Z370 Killer SLI/ac ATX LGA1151 Motherboard since the Z270 you chose is not compatible with the 8 series i5.

I think @Vapour has a great pc build you should look at.
  11. Your hard drive with Windows on it will probably not work with your new build. It will have drivers for the old build. If you login to your current build with your microsoft account login ID, then you should be able to transfer the Windows 10 digital license to the new build, but a clean installation of Windows 10 with the Media Creation Tool is highly recommended. You can download the tool and the Windows 10 ISO file directly from Microsoft and follow the instructions to do the installation. Only have one HDD (or SSD) connected when installing Windows. Connect additional drives after Windows installation is complete.
  12. http://www.microcenter.com/product/486089/Core_i5-8600K_Coffee_Lake_36_GHz_LGA_1151_Boxed_Processor
    it 10.00 more the the older cpu. the 200 chipset mb wont let the newer cpu run. micro center if you have a local one has 30.00 off combo deals of cpu and mb.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming PCs Build Computers 3D