Moving hard drives to new computer

Nov 20, 2017
Hello,
This may be a very stupid question...
I tried searching for similar questions but am finding different answers, so im still unsure.
I am building a new computer but want to keep the hard drive from my old one, is there anything that I need to do, or lookout for in order to swap it in?
The hard drive came from an acer aspire (some model name) desktop.
any comments will help! thanks.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Are you planning on just using the already installed OS from this new HDD? If so, then you MAY run into some issues that may require a clean install (which is best practice anyway).

But if you're not trying to do that, then simply check that your new PC has the appropriate slot/location to store the drive (2.5/3.5"), that your new PSU has the appropriate available power connector to connect into the HDD, and you have the relevant data transfer cable for the HDD and the free slot on your motherboard (SATA/IDE etc.).

Asides that, just the regular precautionary steps when handling any electrical component.

As long as the hard drive connects the same way as your motherboard can accommodate, then storage is usually pretty transferable. If the hard drive is SATA, then you're most likely in good shape. For peace of mind, you can always double-check that the drive is healthy to be thorough. Most vendors have a free tool for doing this. Ours would be SeaTools.

If you have the data from the drive backed up, or don't particularly need it, the best way to ensure the drive performs as best as possible is to format it once it's in the new system, but it's not necessary to get it going.

TRENDING THREADS