I can use Internet, but can only access game servers in Safe Mode

nickolaswillis

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
Basically the title. I have access to the internet, can use social media, stream videos, etc., but I can't connect to Hearthstone or League of Legends servers. I just got some sort of Windows update a day or two ago, and have had this problem since then (I was and still am on 10). I tried port forwarding, disabling the firewall, running virus scans, factory resetting the router, power cycled the modem, router, and computer, using static and dynamic ip addresses, and made sure that drivers were all up to date. None of those fixed the issue, so I tried booting in Safe Mode with networking, and lo and behold, I could log in to Hearthstone and League both. I don't know how to translate this over to normal operations, and at this point I'm out of ideas. Thanks in advance for any help!

Also a note, my laptop does have access to these servers, and my PS4 can run games as normal, so I'm pretty sure that it is something local on my desktop.

Try this. Go into control panel by typing "control" into the run command on the start menu. Go into Device manager. Open the network adapters and right click on your Ethernet or wireless adapter, whichever you are using, select uninstall. Restart the computer, go back into device manager and see if the network adapter is reinstalled. If not, go to the top and click on the Action tab. Select scan for hardware changes After it detects the hardware and reinstalls it, try connecting to the servers again.

nickolaswillis

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
Thanks. I tried, but I'm still having the same issue. It seems like a port or firewall issue from what I've read on the forums around here, but unless I've been port forwarding wrong (which I don't think I have), I don't think it can be that

Seems to me like it almost has to be a third party application causing this problem. I'm looking into it a bit more AND calling in some additional help for a fresh pair of eyes.

Have you tried renewing the IP lease?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi_3c2w6YzYAhUV8mMKHUEXDdIQFggxMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tp-link.com%2Fus%2Ffaq-840.html&usg=AOvVaw30m3wuBEgQne_xbyPySgEi

You say you have tried turning off the Firewall and antivirus, but I'd try again. Try completely disabling the Windows firewall AND any antivirus/antimalware applications and then try to connect. If you are unsure how to disable a specific application we can try to help with that.

nickolaswillis

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
Turns out that it was being caused by Covenant Eyes. I've been using it for quite a while, but I guess this recent Windows update had something to do with jacking with the way it interacted with game servers. Had to forcefully uninstall it because it kept crashing the uninstall wizard... which was incredibly frustrating... Thanks for y'alls time, though, I really appreciate it!