Absurd Slowdown on Game Launch (Assorted Games)

masterv3ga

Reputable
Dec 14, 2017
I am currently stumped on a problem with my machine. When I open a game, sometimes it slows down my machine to a crawl (I'm talking windows refeshes the mouse's location every other second slow). This is a decently high end machine and there is no reason for it to struggle with opening a game. The problem ways goes away when the program is done launching, and loading new parts of a game doesn't cause any problems either.
It happens exclusively on launch, and varies in duration by game. For instance, it will occasionally happen when I load into a game on League of Legends, but that only lasts a couple of seconds. Dungeon of the endless, a laughably light program, causes this problem to such a degree that it would be faster for me to reboot my computer ten times than let it finish loading.

I have opened up the Task Manager while in the middle of the slow down and found that my processor reports only being at 8% load, and my memory being at a maximum of 30% load. Let me clarify that the entire computer slows to a pitiful crawl, not just the game.
This issue has persisted through several windows updates, graphics card driver updates. In fact it existed on an earlier install on a different disk drive, motherboard, and processor. Only started happening with Windows 10. Rolling back isn't an option.

Any ideas as to what is causing this problem?

(System info:
CPU: Ryzen 1800x
RAM: 16gb
GPU: 2x Radeon R9 290X
Storage: Western Digital Blue WD10ezex 1TB
Motherboard: Crosshair VI Hero)