windows 10 booting problem error code 0x00000f, boot\bcd not found

iamkira

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
I made C drive as Active in disk management,later i rebooted the system it gave me error saying that "windows cannot find boot\bcd due to software\hardware changes,use windows disk to repair the system".. I tried to repair the system by using the live os (by opening cmd in repair pc option) and tried to recover the bcd ,but it says BCD not found in the specified directory.Is there any other method to recover pc?(if it's not there then how can i safely recover my pc?)? (i am not using dual boot)

Solution
active drive in win 10 is the boot partition... redirecting it to C means the PC isn't looking in the right partition to boot

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB (its just a boot disk)

Do you know how to change the active partition back to right one?
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type diskpart and press enter
type list disk and press enter
this shows all drives available, DVD/USB and hdd, make note of hdd number
type list vol and press enter
this will list all the partitions, the system...

Colif

Win 11 Master
active drive in win 10 is the boot partition... redirecting it to C means the PC isn't looking in the right partition to boot

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB (its just a boot disk)

Do you know how to change the active partition back to right one?
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type diskpart and press enter
type list disk and press enter
this shows all drives available, DVD/USB and hdd, make note of hdd number
type list vol and press enter
this will list all the partitions, the system partition is the boot partition (this is what should be active)
can you show a screen shot?

this shows how to set active part in win 8 using command prompt: https://neosmart.net/wiki/set-partition-as-active/#Set_partition_as_active_on_Windows_8 (Win 10 should be the same)

If this doesn't work, you might be able to run a reset as i think it rebuilds bcd
boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose reset this PC
choose keep files/settings (Files = library folders. Library folders = Documents, pictures, movies, music (the default folders that come with windows). Settings = logins and desktop)
Other choice is wipe everything which reinstalls win 10 as if its brand new
either way, PC will restart and reinstall win 10 from new. You lose all your programs on C drive, if you had multiple drives everything on other drives is left as is...

Solution

iamkira

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017

I'll try and update the details ,thank you