Net neutrality opinions.

trollzhxtroll

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017
The net neutrality is officially down. What do you think of it? Will it affect anything you know? Personally I think the FCC decision is wrong, even if Canada will not be affected as the US will be, but I do travel a lot to the US and I don't want to pay extra money to browse websites.

Edited by mod. Self censored swearing is still wrong.

4745454b

Titan
You won't/shouldn't see increases in your ISP bill, but your content providers bill. Streaming services like Hulu or netflix will have to raise their prices because they'll have to pay more money to the ISP for using so much bandwidth. I agree, this is "garbage". When your ISP says you have "unlimited" bandwidth, they shouldn't get mad when you use it. We are moving away from older business models. CDs and DVDs are nearly gone. TV as it was is on it's way out as well. Forcing people to continue to do things the old way isn't what's best.

birne

Reputable
May 19, 2015

haha, thank god for that :D
however i also hope it takes some time to reach europe ;)

ttocsmij

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011

It has always been about (1) money, and (2) control. Before Nov 2016, the public was, loosely, in control. After Jan 2017, the Billionaire Boys representative moved in and all bets were off. It's pretty obvious. Massive cuts in many "common people" departments (e.g., EPA, CDC, Medicare, drilling ok'd on Federal and native lands, etc., etc., etc.). Insurance plans that benefit the billionaire insurance company owners instead of the patients (of which there will be at least 13 MILLION less of -- or more according to the government's own figures -- but, "Good riddance 'cause they were the poor, needy ones anyhow!"). Billionaires care not for these services because they believe they're immortal; and even if not, their money can save them from whatever happens to the rest of us. Essentially that is true. Make deals and spread money around the world and there will always be a home for a billionaire. I really don't think they understand terms like "nuclear winter" or "ice age" (hence their position on global climate change). Keep poking Chollima insanis though and the meaning will come home soon enough.

But I digress ... control of the Internet has now been passed off to the Billionaire Boys. The Internet was started with public and private money because nearly all of the computers were at universities across the country (e.g., the original Internet was only 32 computers). The concept came out of ARPANET which was used by the military (i.e., taxpayer money). Now many of the computers (aka, servers) are owned by Google, Dell, and hundreds of other face-less companies around the world. Will the billionaires say, "Thank you for allowing us to empty your wallets into ours!" Nope. They'll just take more.

And so it goes. The free exchange of information was a great equalizer. Everyone -- common and billionaire alike -- had access to the same information. It was really something while it lasted; but as the Middle Class evaporates, we move from a manufacturing to service economy, and return to a king-serf society, the flow of information will determine caste and position. Asian Indians are very familiar with a society based on caste but it will be quite a culture shock to North America. Fortunately, the growing Middle Class in China -- at least 100X larger than ours ever was -- will require oodles of sweatshop labor and we will be ready here in the America's to provide that (as more and more of our children avoid Common Core STEM in favor of staring at their miniature boob toobs on break time; assuming the overlord grants them any).

</crazy>

ttocsmij

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011

P.S. I love how you think there are no Billionaire Club members in Canada. Cherish that thought. :ange: