Black Screen Installing Windows 10 on a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P Motherboard with Discreet GPU

Lutalo

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
Hi all, first time posting here.

I'm building a PC and I have a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P motherboard, which has no display connections (no HDMI, DVI, VGA, DP, etc.). And my GPU is an EVGA SC GTX 970.

When I first boot it up with the Windows 10 installation package on a USB, the display comes through my monitor no problem. But midway through the installation process, presumably when it's installing the display drivers, the screen goes black and there's nothing I've been able to do so far to bring it back to life.

I just left it on, doing its thing, overnight, and this morning it's the same.

Periodically it was send some sort of a signal to my monitor, which wakes it up, but there's never anything on there.

Help? I just need to install and boot windows so that I can download the requisite drivers for the GTX 970.

AMD FX-8350
2x4gb ddr3 1600 ram
2TB SHDD
EVGA GTX 970
Antec Green 500w PSU

Solution
Hello Lutalo

You are correct, I assume. Windows might not be able to get the correct drivers and therefore nothing comes up. Since you don't have any additional output port, it's the available GPU that needs to be managed.

To begin with, can you please check with the BIOS if it has any option to disable/enable the GPU or any other such management control for it?

If the GPU cannot be controlled with the BIOS, you can try building your own Windows 10 installation media with the correct drivers already integrated to it. Although the process is a bit lengthy, it may serve the purpose.

Here are the instructions on how you can integrate the drivers to a Windows 10 installation media.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!! :)
Hello Lutalo

You are correct, I assume. Windows might not be able to get the correct drivers and therefore nothing comes up. Since you don't have any additional output port, it's the available GPU that needs to be managed.

To begin with, can you please check with the BIOS if it has any option to disable/enable the GPU or any other such management control for it?

If the GPU cannot be controlled with the BIOS, you can try building your own Windows 10 installation media with the correct drivers already integrated to it. Although the process is a bit lengthy, it may serve the purpose.

Here are the instructions on how you can integrate the drivers to a Windows 10 installation media.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!! :)

Solution