Wrong native display and refresh rate on Nvidia Control panel as well as Display settings

cyclopswasright28

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
My native resolution and Refresh Rate when connecting through a graphic card is 1600x900 and 60 HZ respectively yet after a few problems where the screen would go black and a USB disconnected sound could be heard it'd show my native resolution as 1024x768 and Refresh Rate as 80z

Also in the scaling panel of Nvidia Control panel the option to perform it on the GPU instead of the Display is gone, leaving behind only the Display option.

What seems to be the issue here?

Solution
It might, I can't tell without tracing what the actual problem is.

it looks like the software that controls the graphics card is crashing. That would cause the screen to go black and the Windows "device removed" sound to play. It would then revert to the generic graphics driver that is built into Windows, which often doesn't support all the resolutions your card is capable of.

It could just be that something has gone wrong with the installed nVidia drivers, which you can easily check by going to the nVidia website, downloading the drivers for your card and selecting the "clean installation" option. Do that before you do anything else.

There are a lot of other things that could cause your graphics drivers to crash, but the first thing...

richagriff

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017

It sounds like there might be a problem with your graphics drivers. Make sure you have the right drivers for your GPU and try doing a clean reinstall.

Hope this helps.

cyclopswasright28

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017

richagriff

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
It might, I can't tell without tracing what the actual problem is.

it looks like the software that controls the graphics card is crashing. That would cause the screen to go black and the Windows "device removed" sound to play. It would then revert to the generic graphics driver that is built into Windows, which often doesn't support all the resolutions your card is capable of.

It could just be that something has gone wrong with the installed nVidia drivers, which you can easily check by going to the nVidia website, downloading the drivers for your card and selecting the "clean installation" option. Do that before you do anything else.

There are a lot of other things that could cause your graphics drivers to crash, but the first thing to check is the software you use, then make sure your GPU or CPU aren't incorrectly over clocked or overheating, check if Windows needs to be repaired, check your hard drive for errors.

Have you checked what your display's actual native resolution is? Sometimes it's different from the one that shows up on Windows. For example, my sister's TV has a native resolution of 1024x768, but it shows up in Windows as 1080p when you connect via HDMI.

Reactions: Neymar JR GP
Solution

cyclopswasright28

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017

cyclopswasright28

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
I googled my monitor model and it says the native resolution is 1600x900. Iv'e got a Samsung SyncMaster S20B300 20 inch monitor, if that helps.

I do so hope that installing the new card and it's drivers helps me out. Thanks for responding, man. I appreciate it.