Windows update (Asmedia USB 3.0) messed up PC

cheetofiend69

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017
*FIXED* Apparently there's an update from Asmedia on the windows update, it has to do with USB 3.0 drivers or something. I clicked on update but as soon as I did that all my USB ports on the rear io stopped working and my internet stopped working as well (I use an Ethernet cable). I decided to shut off my PC but the problem still persisted, the only USB ports that did work were the two in the front. I managed to sign in and enter the desktop but windows told me to restart to finish updates, I restarted but now I can't even get the PC to enter windows. It just constantly keeps telling me that there has been an error and I need to restart...

Solution
so looks like I found a fix

"I might suggest to try switching to the xHCI controller.

In the Device Manager for each Asmedia USB controller can you do the following:

Right-click the Asmedia USB Controller > Update Driver Software > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

With "Show compatible hardware" "checked" what is listed under Model?

Is "USB xHCI Complaint Host Controller" listed?

If so, can you select the "USB xHCI Complaint Host Controller" > Next and continue with the installation

Do this for each of the Asmedia USB controllers."...

cheetofiend69

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017

That fixed it! Although I had already done this beforehand, I managed to get it in safe mod and restore my PC to Dec. 13th. I downloaded all the updates again and restarted my PC, everything seems to be working fine. I have no clue what was the cause of my issue, I just hope this doesn't happen again.

EDIT: issues started occurring again...

cheetofiend69

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017
So everything was working fine until I connected my Xbox one controller in one of the front USB ports. Everything shut off again, internet and all my USB ports but the front ones. I use msi afterburner and it wasn't reading the temps for my graphics card as well. This is the first time I've ever had this issue. I shut off my PC and again it's telling me to restart because it has encountered an error.

Hello again cheetofiend69

Looks like the drivers are updating automatically and the latest ones are not compatible.

Can you please try the previous solution again, but this time please Disable Automatic Driver Updates.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!! :)

cheetofiend69

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017

I did what you told me to do, hopefully that'll work but I won't get my hopes up just yet. I found a screw just laying around in my case, you think that might've been the cause? Maybe it shorted something out? I'm still a noob at this sorry... I also downloaded Bluestacks, it's a android emulator. Both times I restored, they removed Bluestacks as if that was the cause of my drivers failing. Recently I've also been getting alot of attacks from a virus called PUA.JScoinminer. I'm just listing out everything that I've done the last two to three days so that it'b be easier for you to find the root cause if disabling driver updates doesn't work after all. Thanks alot! You're being a huge help

The screw may short the circuits but it's unlikely in your case. About the Bluestacks, restoring removed it because the points you restored your Windows to were probably created before the Bluestacks was installed.

If you downloaded Bluestacks from its official website, there's nothing to fear about.

About the viruses, please use a strong antivirus program to scan and remove them. Probably the viruses are causing trouble. May be the driver you're trying to download or are updated automatically contain some viruses in them.

Also, please ensure that Bluestacks or any other program that your PC has is obtained from a trusted source.

Please report back if the issue comes up again.

Happy to help.

Cheers!! :)

cheetofiend69

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017

So it seems like I wasn't the only one with this issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update-winpc/windows-10-update-bootloop-with-asmedia-technology/1f4bc844-eaee-4e5f-8c5d-61a8e3fea2af

As soon as I clicked the install button for that update, all my USB devices and ethernet connection went dead. I had similar issues except it was giving me an option to restart because it encountered an error and I was able to go on safe mode and restore my PC to a previous state. Is there a way to delete that damned update? Thanks again

cheetofiend69

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017
so looks like I found a fix

"I might suggest to try switching to the xHCI controller.

In the Device Manager for each Asmedia USB controller can you do the following:

Right-click the Asmedia USB Controller > Update Driver Software > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

With "Show compatible hardware" "checked" what is listed under Model?

Is "USB xHCI Complaint Host Controller" listed?

If so, can you select the "USB xHCI Complaint Host Controller" > Next and continue with the installation

Do this for each of the Asmedia USB controllers."

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update-winpc/windows-10-update-bootloop-with-asmedia-technology/1f4bc844-eaee-4e5f-8c5d-61a8e3fea2af?ranMID=24542&ranEAID=je6NUbpObpQ&ranSiteID=je6NUbpObpQ-4XeNtKLaJoX_nkYiN_jK7Q&tduid=

UPDATE: So apparently it seemed like it worked, I was able to boot to the log in screen BUT as soon as I logged in I had a black screen with a white box on the top left corner of my screen saying "preferences is not set". I'm paraphrasing, I don't remember exactly what it said but it was along those lines. I managed to get it working by doing ctrl alt delete, disabling my network, sign out and sign back in and connect online again. Another fix that I saw online was typing sfc/scannow as admin in cmd. I'm just going to wait this out... hopefully I'll have no more issues

Solution

I am sorry I thought I already suggested the SFC command and it didn't help. My bad. :(

You can find more details about the command and how to use it here.

Good Luck!! :)