Coming Back to an Unexpectedly Restarted Computer

dj.promethium

Prominent
Aug 12, 2017
Hi! So, I've been having something strange happen over the past couple of weeks. I'll come back to my computer to find it has restarted, but there are some quirks to the issue.

Firstly, I have tweaked my Group Policy settings so that no auto restart with an active logged in user is on, and the windows update settings also do not allow any restarting without my being there. The last recorded updates also do not line up with the occurring restarts, so I think I can safely rule that out.

These restarts have, at least not so far, happened while I am there in front of my computer. It seems to happen when I am simply letting it idle, walk away, then come back after a couple of hours. Sometimes I'll have Chrome open, a youtube video paused, and when I come back, Windows is on the login screen, and the video is either playing (I can hear it) or ended. Everything else seems fine, though it's worth mentioning when I click over to other tabs and such, they have to load, as if the computer did indeed restart, then re-opened Chrome for some reason.

I checked my event log and searched for 6006 and 6005 codes. They supposedly generate whenever the computer successfully shuts down or starts up. Here's the thing though, it generates these codes at the times that these strange restarts seem to occur, but does not seem to generate them for my nightly shutdowns, or morning startups, which I do every single day. It's like it's marking down these odd restarts as okay restarts, and my normal restarts (which are done properly) as if they didn't happen.

I can't seem to find any specific errors around the timestamp of these shutdowns that would cause this, though if there's anything you think I should look out for in the event viewer, I would love to know.

Is there any dumps or error codes I could share here to help solve this mystery? Any other information I could share? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
Are you sure it's restarted and not just going to the lock screen which requires the password? Turn off screensaver and all power saving things, see what happens then.