Change Default Login Account through Recovery Command Line?

jgourlay

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2012
All, I'm having a helluva problem (this thread here --> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/edit/response/20490319). That thread has got no answers yet, but I'm continuing to work the problem.

I wanted to try a work around. My PC has two accounts, one passworded one not. The passworded account is the 'default'. MAYBE I can solve my issue by having the no password account be the default. I CANNOT ACCESS THE LOGIN SCREEN. ONLY COMMAND LINE IN RECOVERY MODE.

Is there a way, from the command line in recovery mode, to instruct Windows 10 to boot into the non-passworded account?

At the command prompt, type
net user Administrator /active:yes
and hit the Enter key.

It won't do what you asked but it will, on a restart, show the System Administrator's account as a login option and which won't require a password but it will allow you to make changes while you're in that account.

There is a setting that allows you to force an account to open automatically without stopping at the password stage and when I get home to a Windows 10 system, I'll remind myself where it is and post later.

jgourlay

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2012

Saga, that forced open command would be SUPER helpful, because the login screen doesn't come up. I tried netplwiz, but from the recovery command prompt, it just says that's not a command.