Computer Just Stops Displaying Images

Hexa Fox

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
Hey guys I am encountering a frustrating problem with a relatively new computer that I have built. As always I was hoping someone here could help me out. It just began occurring today and is quite frustrating. Basically out of nowhere my monitor will just go black, no error notification, no sound, no thing. The two times that I have noticed it were today as I mentioned and I was on my computer typing up an assignment for school, nothing demanding.

I have actually been using this computer for about a couple of months now, and the graphics card for even longer. I solved it both times by holding the power button.

1.) I tried pressing the power button one time. It gives me the Windows error chime as if I clicked on something and received an error message.

2.) I checked the event logs and both times "Kernel-Power" was in the critical section. However, I imagine this might be there from forcing my computer to shut down.

3.) I also tried unplugging the HDMI cable from the computer and monitor with no luck. I do not think it has anything to do with my monitor.

Please stand by for the specifications of my computer. I am planning on stress testing the CPU and GPU here soon to see if anything happens while under load. This is my main computer that I use on a regular basis. It is going to be really frustrating for this to strike randomly without warning.

Hexa Fox

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD FX-8370
MSI Radeon RX 480 4 GB Armor Edition
G. Skill 16 GB 240 Pin DDR3 2133
ADATA SU800 256 GB SSD
Corsair CS650M 650W Semi-Modular PSU
Corsair 500r Arctic White

I also added an additional HDD that came from my old Laptop for both storage and to access the old files. I am planning to check it using Crystal Disk.

I just ran Prime95 and FurMark together for about three minutes with no issue. Is there any science to how long you should stress your computer? For instance, running both of those together for three entire minutes should reveal any performance issues right? Especially when you consider that this issue just happened to my out of the blue with little or no load on my computer? Additionally, I could probably rule out the power supply for the most part (not entirely I understand) but if it had a problem will not under load would you not imagine that stressing the CPU and GPU simultaneously would reveal PSU problem?

Hexa Fox

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013

I do not think it is the monitor. Because forcing the tower to shut off and turning it back on resolves it immediately. I also tried messing around with the HDMI cables and turning it off and back on with no luck.

Also it has only happened twice, but both happened yesterday while I was in front of it.