Life cycle of AMD boards

sales.hosini

Prominent
Dec 7, 2017
I'm thinking to make a switch from Intel to amd so need some info here.

What is the general life cycle for amd boards before it become obsolete.
Taking intel as example, usually it last for 2 generations which is about 2 years.

How about amd? will it only last just few years usually which also means each time i upgrade my processor(4-5years perhaps?) i will need new board?

If each time i upgrade my processor i will need new board then it won't matter going intel or amd.

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
The new Ryzen platform is promised to be supported till 2020. Meaning, any new CPU released in Ryzen series can be plugged into an AMD Ryzen motherboard you buy today.

Intel released Kaby lake late 2016 or early 2017 and was outdated by the release of coffee lake in October 2017.

timmy_area51

Notable
Sep 28, 2017
intel is good only if you can afford it , the 115x socket renews faster than Apple issues an iphone (and of course i'm talking about intel's 2066) , if you build a basic threadripper rig it will be promising until late 2021

sales.hosini

Prominent
Dec 7, 2017
So even with amd if upgrade are done every 5 years, then I'm more likely to just get a new cpu + mobo combo instead right? In order to reuse the mobo i need to get the last released cpu that match it on 2020 which making my upgrade cycle to a 4 year cycle instead in order to maximize my mobo usage? Is it even worth doing that?

I'm thinking to ditch laptop for desktop for it's longer life expectancy & value to performance. Does it even save much when my laptop can last 4year average vs 5 years on desktop before becoming obsolete?

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Laptop vs. Desktop is a whole different argument in my opinion. With laptops comes mobility, while with desktop comes more power (at the same price point). Almost everybody who uses desktop also uses a laptop. Desktop for gaming, larger screen, productivity etc. while a laptop for office, school etc. that doesn' require much horsepower like emails, office apps etc.

With AMD's promise, for the next 5 years, you will need to change just the CPU if you want to change just the CPU. Not new RAM, nothing else really. How things actually get implemented is a question for all of us.

AMD is rumored to release the Ryzen 2 line of CPUs in the first quarter of 2018 and we will all get to see what is compatible with what and what new they introduce. Until that time, everything said here is speculation. :)

sales.hosini

Prominent
Dec 7, 2017

I will only be able to afford either a laptop or desktop. As wages here generally around $800/month and components are 10-20% more expensive than in US so doing both is not really a good idea as an acceptable laptop for me is atleast $500 already due to the fact if i'm having laptop then desktop are only for heavy apps and gaming only while anyting else will be done using laptop (I don't have a desktop atm). So I'm trying to calculate or atleast speculate how much does it cost for me to run a desktop style life vs laptop. Is it worth the compromise.