Full HD monitor can run 4K Resolution?

alaasalah142

Prominent
Dec 19, 2017
After a few months of usage, I noticed I can change my monitor's display resolution to 4K, and it actually works but it makes everything on the display very tiny, I can still change back to full HD but I'm wondering how is this even possible? What happened?

Solution
Your computer creates a 4K image, then makes a new 1080p image which approximates that 4K image as closely as possible, and that is what you see on your monitor. You are still seeing a 1080p image, but your FPS drops because your computer still has to generate a 4K image first, even though you never see it.
Likely a software bug. Your os thinks your monitor can run 4k so it's an option. What happens is that your os starts running in 4k but it gets downscaled for your monitor.
Everything becomes tiny simply because that's what 4k is (4 times full HD).
Everything is still matched to full HD size but since the resolution is 4 times full HD everything becomes half the size it was on full HD.

alaasalah142

Prominent
Dec 19, 2017

So this new resolution I have is the same quality resolution as a normal 4k monitor would be? Is this like an upgrade for my monitor?

Your computer runs in 4k but your display only shows 1920x1080.

alaasalah142

Prominent
Dec 19, 2017

Perhaps, but when I change my resolution in video games the fps lowers down a mile, why this?

Because your gpu has to power 4 times more pixels.

bignastyid

Titan

It's either DSR or VSR(depending on your gpu) it makes the GPU render in a higher resolution then downscales to a lower resolution.
https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dsr
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/vsr

Your computer creates a 4K image, then makes a new 1080p image which approximates that 4K image as closely as possible, and that is what you see on your monitor. You are still seeing a 1080p image, but your FPS drops because your computer still has to generate a 4K image first, even though you never see it.

Solution

Latest posts