need help!!! did a restore but unsuccesfully installing windows 10 media creation

94.jackywang

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
Just now, I have rebooted my desktop PC in hopes of clearing everything
without having to get into the nooks and crannies of every data file.

It's a custom built tower from a friend of a friend who had
constructed it and added Windows 7 OS for me (about 5 years ago).

Now, I have rendered the computer into "limbo".
When I power up the system, the screen appears blank.
I tried it again it had a Windows logo with the loading circle
before going blank again (just a black screen). I went through
the Microsoft site and got the "Create Windows 10 installation media".
Uploaded that into a USB and plugged it into the tower.
What appears is the "Windows Setup" window with the
activate windows I need a product key or to choose I don't have a product key.
I choose "I don't have a product key" (because I don't).
I proceed to select Windows 10 Pro (I also tried Windows 10 Home).
This eventually leads me to two choices:
"Upgrade: Install Windows and keep files, settings, and applications" or
"Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)".
I chose Upgrade first, but then of course, I didn't primarily have a Windows installed.
So I go to the Custom choice, which leads me to "Where do you want to install Windows?"
I have three Drive 0 Partitions: 1 (System Reserved), 2 (Primary), 3 (OEM Reserved).
I only formatted my primary to see if I could install it there (I couldn't). I have not touched it since because it was unsuccessful.
(Error window says Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.)

Instead of installing Windows 10, I try to go back to the repair my computer option, but there's nothing there for me. So what do I do?

Please help.

I read a couple other threads similar to the issue I'm having... Should I delete or format all my three partitions and see if I can do "next"?

Solution
(Error window says Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.)
I wish they had this error in plain English. Don't they have anyone there who can speak plain English?

This message should just say"Win 10 recognises your PC has a UEFI BIOS. Win 10 wants to use GPT as a format on the disk but it can tell you have MBR format. Simply delete all the partitions on the hdd and click next."

If it won't let you click next, restart PC and re run the installer, it should work this time (some PC need a restart here)

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wish they had this error in plain English. Don't they have anyone there who can speak plain English?

This message should just say"Win 10 recognises your PC has a UEFI BIOS. Win 10 wants to use GPT as a format on the disk but it can tell you have MBR format. Simply delete all the partitions on the hdd and click next."

If it won't let you click next, restart PC and re run the installer, it should work this time (some PC need a restart here)

Solution