Not letting me Choose Operating System After Rester Error

aidanjstevens

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
So I was trying to reset my Windows 10 Desktop when I got an error saying I am missing files (error code: 0xc000000f) People have said I can fix this by pressing F9 and going into command prompt. I tried that earlier and typed in a few lines but nothing seemed to work. I then lost my ability to use F9 now whenever I press it, it makes my screen black with my mouse still on it. I can't boot into safe mode because I can't load into my computer. I am really hoping my new computer isn't ruined PLEASE help I am having a nervous breakdown!

Solution
Resets seem to go too far. I doubt PC is ruined, may just need to reinstall Win 10- again

change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)

F9? Sure it wasn't F8...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Resets seem to go too far. I doubt PC is ruined, may just need to reinstall Win 10- again

change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)

F9? Sure it wasn't F8? Even still, that won't work on Win 10 as the feature that lets you do that is turned off by default in Win 10

Solution

Before this i'd try a repair from that boot disk, just in case.

Colif

Win 11 Master
op was saying pressing F9 got him to Command prompt, @op What brand PC do you have?

F9 doesn't do anything at bootup unless its a laptop and has recovery features built in (some brand name PC also fit into here)

I can't see that as an option using F8. The PC needs to be set up to show the advanced boot options before it will react to F8 see here and that takes you to safe mode, not command prompt.