After every restart sleep mode goes to never.

Computing_Now

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
A few times I turned sleep mode on to a couple of hours and I didn't notice but every time I looked again it was set to never. Then I set it to 2 hours and restarted the computer and it went straight back to never again twice.

I have Samsung magician installed and running in the tray icon area, it used to have screen where it could change all these settings to optimise for ssd but not it doesn't seem to be there, could there be a virus/trojan?

Solution
i wonder if its a settings synced to user account, try going to settings/accounts/Sync your settings and turn off the feature, and then set power scheme and restart. It may be a setting is saved on your roaming profile that turns it off.

Another thought is to make a new local account and test if it happens on that user - http://

If it doesn't happen on a new user, it might be your normal user is corrupted. If so, logon to old user, make new user admin, and copy contents of c:\users\username folder of old user onto new one to give it same access. LOgin to new one and from here, all you need do is set up browsers, Onedrive (if you used it) and login to steam.

If new user doesn't help, it must be windows somehow.

Try running the...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I know the screen you mean, I think they have since removed it in the newer versions of Magician (I just never updated so I have the power settings still). I don't use the Samsung performance plan it has as I don't need CPU running at Max speed all the time.

Do you use RAPID? If you don't use RAPID you don't really need Magician loading at startup. Have you tried disabling it and then changed the power settings to default and setting your sleep pattern?

Computing_Now

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
Just tried that, with all startup items disabled (selective startup tick box and task manager disable) it still keeps going to never.

If you disable services in selective startup you can't see or choose any sleep options.

Computing_Now

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
If you set the sleep mode to any time and then restart the computer by choosing restart in windows next time windows starts it's back to never.

Though if you set the sleep mode time and choose shut down and then turn the computer on again a few seconds later then it retains the selected sleep time.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i wonder if its a settings synced to user account, try going to settings/accounts/Sync your settings and turn off the feature, and then set power scheme and restart. It may be a setting is saved on your roaming profile that turns it off.

Another thought is to make a new local account and test if it happens on that user - http://

If it doesn't happen on a new user, it might be your normal user is corrupted. If so, logon to old user, make new user admin, and copy contents of c:\users\username folder of old user onto new one to give it same access. LOgin to new one and from here, all you need do is set up browsers, Onedrive (if you used it) and login to steam.

If new user doesn't help, it must be windows somehow.

Try running the power Troubleshooter, find it on settings/update & security/troubleshoot

Or try this:
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, DISM cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Solution