Pc crashes when running games or other apps in fullscreen or borderless windowed.

suppyfive

Prominent
Dec 22, 2017
At first I thought my new monitor may be causing the problem because it started as soon as I got it, but after some messing around I managed to make my pc crash in all of the following circumstances:

1. With just the new monitor plugged in, running something in fullscreen.
2. With just the old monitor plugged in, running something in fullscreen.
3. With both monitors plugged in, running something in fullscreen on the new one.
4. With both monitors plugged in, running something in fullscreen on the old one.

These are the monitors:
Old one: PHILIPS 170s7fs/00, 4x3, plugged into my pc with a VGA cord, through a VGA - DVI-I adapter.
New one: ASUS VP228HE, 16x9, plugged into my pc with an HDMI cord, through a HDMI - DVI-D adapter.

Things it crashed with:
Warframe, The Witcher 3, Hearthstone and YouTube videos on fullscreen.

Note: I played Hearthstone in windowed mode for an hour and a bit to check my theory and it didn't crash. It usually takes way less time than that.

My system:
1. Motherboard: ASrock Z97 PRO4
2. Graphics card: AMD Radeon R9 270X OC DirectCU II, 2GB, GDDR5, 256bit, HDMI, 2xDVI
3. CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, 40.GHz, Haswell, 8MB
4. Memory: Kingston HyperX PnP 8GB (2x4GB), DDR3, 1600MHz, CL9, 1.5V
5. Hard disk: HDD WD Blue 1TB, 7200rpm, 64MB, SATA 3
6. Power: Inter-Tech SL-700, 700W

I'm running Windows 10 64bit.

I have tried updating my graphics card and monitor drivers already.

Most of the time when it happens, the game freezes, then the monitor shows the "No VGA(or HDMI) input." message and then it just goes black and turns off. After this, sounds still play for a few seconds before they stop too. The pc keeps running, but I can't do anything and I have to restart it manually.
Very rarely it just shows a bluescreen of death instead.

I would appreciate any advice on how I could fix this.

EDIT:
It started crashing without even going fullscreen now, so I disconnected the ASUS monitor completely and restarted my computer. With just the PHILIPS monitor it doesn't seem to restart anymore - in fullscreen or not.
The new monitor seems to cause the problem. I read somewhere that it might be a problem with the voltage being sent back to the pc by the monitor.

Solution
Adapters that aren't high end could cause a weirdness like this.
The HDMI should work, that's why I wanted you to try using the motherboard's HDMI output as well. (after removing the GPU)
Because the GPU may be broken as well, but if the motherboard's HDMI works, and the GPU's HDMI works, than i'd blame the adapter.
If neither HDMI works, than i'd blame the monitor.
Why are you using Adapters with the new monitor?
Try removing your GPU and using a HDMI cable from your motherboard to the new monitor and only that.

If you have graphics or driver issues, one of the most common fixes is a clean uninstall and removal of your graphics drivers.

To uninstall your drivers, first download and run Display Driver Uninstaller, and follow it's recommendations of booting into safe mode and ect.
(This is a direct download link so you don't grab the wrong version)
http://www.guru3d.com/files-get/display-driver-uninstaller-download,20.html

You'll download a compressed file called "[Guru3D.com]-DDU.zip"
Right click and choose extract.
Go into the folder and run the DDU v##.##.exe
This will extract more files to this folder.
Run Display Driver Uninstaller.exe
Choose Yes when it asks you to boot into SafeMode.
After you've rebooted into safe mode.
When DDU comes up, if it hasn't selected your GPU manufacturer (Nvidia/AMD/Intel) then choose it from the drop down list
Press the Clean and Restart option
If a window comes up asking to disable the Windows automatic installation of display drivers click yes.

After (or before removing the old drivers, just put the new ones on the desktop or somewhere handy) rebooting back into Windows, manually download the latest drivers from Nvidia or AMD, don't use auto detect, choose you GPU model and OS from the drop down lists.
Nvidia: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
AMD: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
Intel: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

suppyfive

Prominent
Dec 22, 2017

Thank you for the quick reply!

I tried using the HDMI port and it didn't work, so I just use the DVI-D one now.
I don't think it's a driver problem, I mentioned that I updated my drivers already so people won't suggest that. I'll try doing a clean install of the driver as you said if all else fails, I guess.
I'm pretty sure the new monitor is at fault though.

Adapters that aren't high end could cause a weirdness like this.
The HDMI should work, that's why I wanted you to try using the motherboard's HDMI output as well. (after removing the GPU)
Because the GPU may be broken as well, but if the motherboard's HDMI works, and the GPU's HDMI works, than i'd blame the adapter.
If neither HDMI works, than i'd blame the monitor.

Solution