My computer is freezing for about a second at regular intervals with gpu usage spiking to 100%

gabriel.furse

Prominent
Dec 23, 2017
Hello,

I bought a new laptop about a month ago and it has started to freeze for a second reguarly, when it does this audio still plays and i can still move the mouse but the video does not update. I have noticed that the freezes coincide with spikes in gpu usuage (see picture). https://imgur.com/a/gU3rG

I have already done everything suggested here as well as what the top comment suggests with changing the ssd turn off to never.

I think this started happening since I installed the feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 but i'm not certain.

Any help would be amazing!

EDIT: I caught a screenshot of the task manager during one of the freezes. https://imgur.com/a/Dr750 it is the system process using 100% gpu and then it drops bck down to 0 very quickly and then back to 100%. I tried setting the preferred gpu to be my dedicated nvidea one but nothing changed and the 3d usage on the intel one still jumped to 100.

ajayrathaur

Prominent
Dec 23, 2017
If your laptop is freezing alot, i will suggest you to follow the instructions below.
1. open command prompt, and run cleanmgr into your computer for cleaning the c drive.
2. Delete temporary files from your computer.
3. Run Sfc /scannow command to run system file scan.
4. Scan your computer with good antivirus, and remove the viruses from your computer.
5. uninstall all programs, which is not useful for your computer.

gabriel.furse

Prominent
Dec 23, 2017

I have tried all these things and the problem is still there thanks anyway,

Apr 3, 2018
Hi, exact same problem here. I noted the same issue over at intel.

https://communities.intel.com/message/535588#535588

The Spike in GPU occurs after a freeze.

My text:
Hi I am having the same problems too.

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7000. i7-8550u @ 1.8GHz with16GB ram, MVNE Samsung 500GB PM981 storage, and a 4K touch display. I also have the Nvidia geforce 940m, but i think that the system is using the UHD Graphics 620 for rendering the laptop display. By spec along this thing should be ripping fast.

My problem was occasional freezing mouse, occasional flicker, occasional freezing file browsing.

I was able to determine that after one of these "freezing events", the Task Manager would show the GPU0 (UHD 620) would jump to 100%. I was able to demonstrate it with dell support by jumping from one window to another.

BTW: I experienced the problem with scaling at 150% and 200%. I have not tried at lower resolution that you suggest, or at 0% scaling at 4K resolution.

I went through support with Dell, and after 5 hours including OS refresh, my issue did not disappear. I convinced them to send me a replacement unit, which both are in front of me now. I thought the problem might be hardware but nope. The problem still exists with a virgin image right from dell, and then after the latest updates were applied.

I am very sad, as this unit cost me a lot of money, but still exhibits the problems. I just don't know how to proceed. Obviously we are experinceing the same issue on different models. This tells me there's a problem that's inherently broken between windows->intel graphics-> 4k display(?) that needs resolution.

I will monitor this forum and bridge other ones that i find.

TRENDING THREADS