Second Monitor Can't Connect

hacjsb4

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
So since I've had my computer, my ASUS VG248QE has worked fine being plugged into my motherboard through a DVI port. Now, I just received another ASUS monitor (VE248H) for Christmas but my motherboard doesn't have anymore slots. My graphics card has a DVI and VGA (the port being used for my second monitor) slot but when connected through my graphics card, neither of the monitors receive a signal. In my BIOS settings, I already have PCI express selected as the primary graphics so I don't know what else to do. Any help is appreciated.

Specs: Intel i7 7700k, Nvidia GTX 1080, ASROCK motherboard

Tell me if you need anymore information please!

Solution
OK I got your picture,
All those ports on the lower left are from the motherboard. Ignore those.

All the ports in the up and down slot beside the DVI ports on the video card are ALSO the video card.

Hook it up exactly like I recommended and it will work.

hook your VG248QE up to the video card via a displayport cable
hook your VE248H up to the video card via the HDMI OR DVI cable

Don't hook anything up to the motherboard in this case.

hacjsb4

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017

I'm not completely sure what you mean, but I have multiple USB's going into the graphics card and they all function, it's just my monitors don't get a signal unless they go through the motherboard (which only has 1 slot).

hacjsb4

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017

Inside of my computer I see two separate cables at the top yes.

hacjsb4

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017

Also, I have my monitors connected to my motherboard because it didn't get signal from the graphics card and I didn't know what to do. Now I'm really experiencing this problem because I have to fix that problem for the second monitor to work.

hacjsb4

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017

So I got both monitors to work, but I found out that the graphics card has one slot, not the motherboard. So basically one monitor (the gaming monitor, 144hz), gets to reach its fullest potential but the other monitor has to connect through Intel(R) HD Graphics 630. Any recommendations of what to do?

hacjsb4

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017

I have a:
Nvidia GeForce GTX - 1080 - 8GB - ASUS TURBO - Single Card
ASUS VE248H 24" Full HD 1920x1080 2ms (60hz)
ASUS VG248QE 24" Full HD 1920x1080 144Hz 1ms

BTW the way that both monitors work is enabling IGPU Multi-Monitor in BIOS, which allows me to use the onboard graphics and the GPU

Mark RM

Admirable
I would hook your VG248QE up to the video card via a displayport cable
I would then hook your VE248H up to the video card via the HDMI cable

I would hook nothing up to the integrated GPU. In fact I'd turn it off in BIOS (if that's an option) since it has no features you need.

I hope that is clear.

hacjsb4

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017

Problem is the only port I have available to the video card is a DVI port, which is why I cannot hook my second monitor up to it.

hacjsb4

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017

this is what i see, the lone DVI near the bottom is what connects me to Nvidia...
(i tried to post a pic from my phone but it didn’t work, is there any way I could send you a picture of the back of my PC?)

Mark RM

Admirable
OK I got your picture,
All those ports on the lower left are from the motherboard. Ignore those.

All the ports in the up and down slot beside the DVI ports on the video card are ALSO the video card.

Hook it up exactly like I recommended and it will work.

hook your VG248QE up to the video card via a displayport cable
hook your VE248H up to the video card via the HDMI OR DVI cable

Don't hook anything up to the motherboard in this case.

Solution

Mark RM

Admirable
To: Mark RM

Sent on: December 24, 2017 3:51 AM
On phone still so I don’t have an option to just reply (sorry), but 2 questions:
1) The 4 ports along the DVI port have like USB blocks in them, would I be safe to just pull those out of the ports?
2) Would I be okay to use a DVI to displayport adapter or should I just buy a displayport cord? All that was sent with the computer was a DVI cord.

Thanks for all the help!

Sent on: December 24, 2017 3:53 AM
they are just protectors to keep dust from getting in, they are designed to be removed.they just pull out.

get an actual display port cable to get the most out of that 144Mhz monitor, no adapters.