Incorrect cable. Please use the dual link DVI cable that came with your monitor

logz

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
I just purchased a new Acer 144hz monitor that works perfectly fine. Whenever i switch the refresh rate to 144hz i can tell that it's working yet there's a pop up on my screen that says "Incorrect cable. Please use the dual link DVI cable that came with your monitor" If anyone knows a way to get rid of that pop up I would appreciate it.

Solution
The monitor isn't liking the adapter for some reason. It may work for others but not yours.

Unless theres an option you can change in the monitor @ 60hz to get 120/144hz working i dont see any other option besides returning the screen for one with displayport.

Would make sense, dvi is on it's last legs. More and more monitors are dp/hdmi only and gpus are heading that way too.

logz

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
My graphics card only has display ports and 1 hdmi port. I bought an adapter for it that can display 144hz but whenever i use that adapter the monitor tells me to use their cable, but when i use their cable in the adapter it cant handle anything above 60hz. I know that I'm capable of running 144hz but I can't do it without the pop up

logz

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017

I guarantee you that 144hz is working, I've been using 60hz for the longest time and I notice a significant difference when using this adaptor.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Adapters do work i agree with you, but at demanding frequencies like 144hz its not possible, there are no active adapters that i know of that can achieve that. 120 hz yes.

You're getting an incorrect cable message, it is not compatible at 144hz. So try back it off to 120hz

logz

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
I just tried using the cable that came with the monitor and it can go up to 120hz without losing signal but for some reason it still shows the incorrect cable pop up, now I'm just confused

boju

Titan
Ambassador
In the reviews of that link you provided of the adapter, someone managed 1440p @ 120hz but assumed 144hz would work @ 1080p answering someone else's question if 144hz would work at 1080p.

It might, be the first adapter I've seen that works. Check each end of your dvi cable for any bent pins and is good fit.

The popup you get, it originates from the monitor? There may be an overlooked setting in the monitor that could turn off messaging

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The monitor isn't liking the adapter for some reason. It may work for others but not yours.

Unless theres an option you can change in the monitor @ 60hz to get 120/144hz working i dont see any other option besides returning the screen for one with displayport.

Would make sense, dvi is on it's last legs. More and more monitors are dp/hdmi only and gpus are heading that way too.

Solution