Windows Update Not Enough Space

leb

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Hi,

I'm having trouble updating due to lack of space (hp stream 13 with 32 gb ssd).

I have about 5gb of space while windows requests 8gb. I downloaded the MediaCreationTool, plugged in a 32gb usb key ntfs-formatted, but the tool still tells me I lack space in C. There are only 2 options available to me, either find a way to install the update or drop it. I already run with compactos and cleaned everything i could find.

Is there a way to either use the usb key as storage to complete the install, or cancel that update so it no longer shows up? Also, how much space will Windows use when fully upgraded?

Thanks!

Solution
I had the same problem. Disk Cleanup didn't solve the problem. After a lot of exploration, I found that the folder c:\Windows\WinSxS was extremely large, so I googled that folder and found this solution. Open the command prompt with Admin privileges and type
Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Takes a long time to run but it should restore several gbs of space.

leb

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010

As I said I removed almost everyting already. I saw other updates that could be done by using a usb key, that's why I'm asking why it's not working in my case.

Also, does that mean I'll lose another 8gb after the install?

Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, that often happens with a 32GB drive.
I have an Asus Transformer that does the same thing.

Solution.
Create a Win 10 install USB. Here:https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Boot from that, and do an actual reinstall, selecting Keep Everything

It will (should) do basically a full install.

Also try running Disk Cleanup, and when it pops up make sure you select the button for "System Files" i think it is (You will know as Windows Update Cleanup will be in the check box list). Also you can find other things on your C Drive that could be taking up space. you can delete the $bt.windows folder if you are going to try to install from a USB Drive

Lewmur44

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015
I had the same problem. Disk Cleanup didn't solve the problem. After a lot of exploration, I found that the folder c:\Windows\WinSxS was extremely large, so I googled that folder and found this solution. Open the command prompt with Admin privileges and type
Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Takes a long time to run but it should restore several gbs of space.

Solution