Need Help With High End Non-Gaming Build

bmkays

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
I'm a software engineer that has not paid attention to hardware in a while. I used to build all my machines myself and also game a lot, but as my career has progressed my desire to sit in front of a computer when I get home has significantly decreased.

I need to build a high end PC that will not be used for gaming. I currently need to replace a PC I use for a plex server, crypto currency mining (the new small ones for fun) when it's not in use, and software development when I work from home.

I started researching on my own and everything I'm finding is geared more towards gaming and I want to make sure I'm not paying for stuff I don't need.

My main needs:
High end processor. No preference really, I've had I7s in my work computers but after researching I'm thinking the Rizen would suit better for my needs (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). The software I use, plus plex transcoding, etc require high intensive CPU use.
Lots of memory. My machines are usually always maxed out with memory, however they are usually provided by my employers. I did read somewhere 16GB of high end RAM is better than 32GB of low end RAM - again, not sure how much water that holds.
Ability to have several large drives. I plan to get a NAS at some point, until then I keep all my video for my plex server on HDs I'll keep in this machine. I currently have several I can re-use for this build unless it makes sense and fits the budget to get new ones. I currently have a 512 SSD for my boot drive, and 2 older Seagate 4 GB sata drives, and one older Seagate 2 GB sata drive. I'm already running out of space so being able to expand now or in the near future would be needed. I also have smaller 256GB SSDs laying around everywhere.
Support for dual monitors, maybe the ability to run more than two if it fits in the budget. No real need for 4K or anything, but full 1080P HD would make life easier on my eyes. I do already have the monitors - no need to include those in the budget.
Gigibit LAN (I'm assuming this is standard these days). It will be hardwired for sure so WiFi makes no difference. I have fiber internet, I don't think multiple ports bridged would do anything to throughput, but again... not a hardware guy. If that's possible that would be a plus for sure.
Future proof as much as possible
I'd rather not have to worry about it overheating, which I don't think should be a problem without a high end gaming video card. Still, if current hardware needs liquid cooling, extra fans, etc.
Things I don't need:
Monitors
Anything more than on board audio, it won't even be connected to speakers
Software of any kind
Keyboard, mouse, speakers, HDMI cables, etc.
Fancy LED stuff, although that seems to be standard these days
I could care less really what the case looks like as long as it's big enough to expand without trying to force things in.
I already have a optical drive I can reuse.. Currently I've had to disconnect it to use the sata slot for a HD.

Pretty much just need the case and guts.

Budget $1,200ish - I can go above some if needed, or by know means have to spend that much if it's not needed obviously.

I will be buying in the US, have Amazon Prime if that makes a difference, and will need to get this thing up and running in the next couple weeks if possible. Sooner the better. The machine I'm replacing is going to someone who does taxes for a living.

Any suggestions for parts would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($288.33 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($128.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($379.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB OC Low Profile Video Card ($158.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Rosewill - B2 SPIRIT ATX Full Tower Case ($123.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($66.59 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1146.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-29 09:13 EST-0500

the 1700 can be overclocked easily to the same 3.8-3.9 ghz speed as its more expensive brethren can be, so why pay more for them?
rather than 16 GB of high end vs 32 GB of low speed, how about 32 GB of high speed RAM?

The Case has room for up to 13 3.5" drives, and the motherboard has 8 SATA ports, should be enough to handle all your current and future drives. I didn't include any additional ones at the moment, but an M.2 SSD would work as well. the board has 2 of them, one will eat up 2 of the SATA ports though.

the 1050ti is not a high end GPU, but should be able to drive 2 screens at 1080p just fine in windows or linux, and could do light gaming very well if you wanted to do that.