Linux-friendly MFD for very low-volume use

Hi all,

My parents have a desktop PC running Linux Mint 18.3, and are looking to get a printer for it. They don’t need colour output, and are unlikely to use it heavily (maybe 200 pages per year in a slightly “peaky” pattern, with a week or two between prints). They would primarily be using it for printing letters and recipes, and making copies of receipts, etc.

They are looking for something which:

• ■ Is relatively compact (approx. 40cm x 40cm x 20cm or smaller)
    ■ Has good output quality
    ■ Connects via at least USB (PC doesn’t have WiFi)
    ■ Incorporates a scanner and can be used as a standalone copier
    ■ Works with Linux
    ■ Will tolerate limited/infrequent use
    ■ Has at least reasonable build quality
    ■ Is available in the UK, and costs under £200

Can anyone recommend any models/manufacturers which should be looked at or avoided? From what I’ve seen, Epson, HP, Canon, and Brother all offer Linux drivers, although Epson and Canon (at least) won’t provide direct support for their products on Linux.

It’s been a while since I looked at printers, so my knowledge is a little out-of-date (I still use an 11 year old Epson Stylus Photo…). Both myself and my parents have always had Epson printers, and have been happy with them, but the current Expression range seems to get consistently bad user-reviews on Epson's own site (although the Expression Photo range seems to get good user-reviews). From my brief reading, ink cartridge sizes also seem to have shrunk across the board..? (my R800 takes 13ml cartridges, whereas the current Epson & HP models seem to take 4-5ml “standard” cartridges and 10-15ml “XL” ones).

Given the infrequent usage scenario, and having had the “fun” of unclogging the nozzles of an inkjet, the HP LaserJet Pro M26nw looks tempting, although I’m wondering if there’s a better option...

Thanks!

I've had excellent results with Brother laser printers; a cheap HL-70 (?) that lasted for years, and then I gave it away when I got my MFC-9330CDW. I did not use either with Linux, but if you've confirmed they have the drivers, then I will attest to years of trouble-free operation. In light-usage scenarios, ink-jets will clog and/or dry out, typically right when you decide you need to print.

Indeed, in my limited experience, Brother stuff tends to not be rubbish. :)

Right before you need to print, and when you don't have any spare cartridges :lol: