Motherboard bound to wrong windows licence?

banankakan12

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017
I bought a new pc and gave my old one to my brother. I installed windows 10 on my new pc. When I wanted to reinstall windows 10 on my old pc I didn't have my product key, but my friend assured me that I could use the same key that I used for my new pc. Worked fine for a while but windows is starting to act wierd for him. I realized that the original product key for my old pc is on a sticker so I tried reinstalling windows with that key, so we'd each have a legit licence. But it doesn't work, is it because the motherboard is now bound to the new licence or something? If I would use the new licence for a reinstall (again) would it start acting wierd again? Because I'm not sure that was the problem

Solution

No, that isn't how it works... Using same licence on 2 PC is just asking for one to stop working.

Colif

Win 11 Master

No, that isn't how it works... Using same licence on 2 PC is just asking for one to stop working.

How is new PC? Is it still activated?

old PC - Did it have win 10 on it before? If so, it already had a key attached to it. All you needed to do was run the installer, when you reached the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished. Activation info all stored on Microsoft servers and PC will check the info there once Win 10 installed on any PC. NO need to remember the keys now, once its used once its saved on their end.

Try a fresh install and don't put any key in and see what happens

follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Solution