Windows 10 Installation

BHall12

Commendable
May 8, 2016
I just got a new SSD and I am trying to install my Windows on it. I figured to do it, all I needneeded to do was put my Windows disc in, launch the setup .exe, and just click options accordingly. After it finally finished everything, it got to the point of installing it, but there wasn't ever am option to choose what drive I wanted it on. I canceled the installation and do not know what to do now. Any help?

Solution

Well, what do you have now?
Thisis a new SSD, so you have soe other drives?

The old OS will still exist on the old drive. Eventually, you need to wipe that drive, and start with a clean slate.

Install the OS on the SSD with only the SSD connected.
Later, reconnect the other drive, save your personal docs off it, and wipe as needed.

USAFRet

Titan

Power off, and remove ALL drives except the SSD.

Start over. You won't have to 'choose'.

USAFRet

Titan

Well, what do you have now?
Thisis a new SSD, so you have soe other drives?

The old OS will still exist on the old drive. Eventually, you need to wipe that drive, and start with a clean slate.

Install the OS on the SSD with only the SSD connected.
Later, reconnect the other drive, save your personal docs off it, and wipe as needed.

Solution

BHall12

Commendable
May 8, 2016
Is there an option that doesn't require me to wipe that drive? It's a 1tb HDD that is literally full of steam games and other programs, and it would take a very long time to download all of that stuff.

USAFRet

Titan

Do you have another drive? Or can you borrow one for an afternoon?

It's just that it is a pain to remove 'only' Windows from a drive, and keep everything else.
Mush easier to move the stuff you wish to keep, and just do a full wipe on that drive.

You don't have to wipe your old drive so long as the new SSD is set as the main boot drive.

Just make sure the SSD is the only drive installed, toss in the DVD, boot off the DVD, Install windows 10 like normal.

Once done turn off your PC and plug back in your 1TB drive and it should be listed as an Extra drive even with windows on it. You can then manually delete any folder, aka Windows, program files, program data, etc.

Then when you reinstall steam install it to the drive and folder that your stuff currently is on and you won't have to reinstall anything.

USAFRet

Titan

You can delete whatever you don't need on it.
There are quite a few OS related folders other than "Windows". Some of them will give you permissions issues.

USAFRet

Titan

/Windows/
/Users/ (this holds all the User data from your current users. Doc/Photo/Music/etc/etc)
/Program Files/
/Program Files(x86)/ (this holds your current Steam folder)

Personally, I like to start with a totally clean drive, rather than the remnants of the old OS install.
But that not critical.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, those as well.
That's why it is easier to find and save the things you want and wipe the whole drive at once, rather than try to 'delete' all vestiges of the previous install, while keeping your stuff in place on the drive.

lol dude preachin to the choir here haha