BSOD Trouble - nvlddmkm.sys

laggers

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017
Hi All,

Thank you for taking to time to read the below

I'm having serious issues! A few nights ago whilst in the middle of a normal gaming session my computer just died, BSOD's popping up, none of the recovery tools of windows 10 could get me to the log in screen (every option led to a BSOD inc System Restore) So i had to unfortunately reinstall windows from a Boot USB i created on another laptop. Unfortunately this is still not helping. I can now log in, but it uses the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, stuck on 800 x 600 Resolution. Everytime i try to install a Graphics Driver for my Nvidia GTX 570 card it gets 30 seconds in then crashes again, stating SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED What Failed: nvlddmkm.sys.
I've tried reformating my Whole PC when reinstalling windows, i've used DDU to try and remove anything Nvidia (i'm assuming nvlddmkm is a Nvidia/Driver file) oh and i can't even start the computer in Safe mode, when i try I get another BSOD - Machine Check Exception.
I've exhausted the internet, no fix is helping
I just need to know if it's a GPU issue in which case i'll get a new one or if my computer is fundemenatally screwed
So to summerise:-
No Display Driver is installed (i've tried numerous drivers inc old stable ones)
DDU Used to remove anything old (although not done in safe mode)
Hardrive has been formatted and then new Windows installed
Alot of things seem to be pointing to Nvlddmkm.sys which is now my least favourite file ever created

Any and all help greatly appreciated

Solution
Can you check if GPU works in another PC?

My guess is its the GPU itself, the not being able to install any drivers part is a clue its a hardware problem. Card may have died during the game. What happens is it will let you use card but won't allow drivers to run card at a higher resolution than the basic one windows chooses.

What does card look like in Device manager? Does PC recognise it as a GTX 570?

Does your PC have onboard graphics - built onto motherboard - as if so you could at least run it but it won't answer why you can't install drivers for Nvidia., it at least lets you use the PC.

nvlddmkm.sys is in fact the Nvidia driver, the top BSOD - SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED - doesn't point at a hardware cause but Machine...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you check if GPU works in another PC?

My guess is its the GPU itself, the not being able to install any drivers part is a clue its a hardware problem. Card may have died during the game. What happens is it will let you use card but won't allow drivers to run card at a higher resolution than the basic one windows chooses.

What does card look like in Device manager? Does PC recognise it as a GTX 570?

Does your PC have onboard graphics - built onto motherboard - as if so you could at least run it but it won't answer why you can't install drivers for Nvidia., it at least lets you use the PC.

nvlddmkm.sys is in fact the Nvidia driver, the top BSOD - SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED - doesn't point at a hardware cause but Machine Check Exception sure does. That is a hardware error

I have other files that are less popular than just the Nvidia Driver :)

Solution

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
this sounds like a conflict with your internal graphics. have you tried going to your BIOS and setting it explicitly to "PCIE" instead of "auto/igpu/cpu". and also disable your "igpu multimonitor" or "shared graphics memory" option. boot to windows with your display cables connected only to your GPU. if this still doesnt work, go to your device manager and go view menu "show hidden devices" go to display. uninstall your Intel HD graphics or disable it.

laggers

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017
Colif - Unfortunately i don't think i'll be able to try this card in another computer (only other PC's i have access to are work computers and the chasis/PSU wont handle the card) i may be able to borrow another card to try in my PC though so will try that today.
Device Manager doesn't recognise the card at all (Under display adapters it only shows the 'Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor') However, when i use the Nvidia website to automatically recognise card and download appropriate drivers, it does pick it up the right card on the scan.
My Motherboard does not have the the option to plug the Monitor directly into it, only slots I have are on the GPU.

Marksavio - And herein lies another issue. Because i'm currently stuck in 800 x 600 resolution, my MSI Bios is partially 'off screen' and impossible to navigate (Hates 800 x 600 and i can't find a way 'see' all my bios buttons/options) you would of thought it would fit to screen, sadly this is not the case (Last time i tried to navigate when i couldn't see, i changed the language to German. Classic)
Tried the "show hidden devices" still only shows the Windows Basic Display Adaptor

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
damn. what kind of monitor do you have :) as for the show hidden devices. i forgot to tell you to go to you console and type the following "set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1". this will allow you to see your unused/disconnected devices on your device manager. you should be able to see 2 display drivers on your next restart.

once that is confirmed. just download the latest intel driver for your motherboard. install it. restart and see how it goes.. [strike]idk if this will fix the issue of your BIOS resolution being too large for your monitor. and if it does, go to your BIOS graphic settings and set it to PCIE.[/strike] you will really need to buy a new monitor that support HD like at least a 720p monitor if we are goin to go into your BIOS properly. im sorry the motherboard doesnt have a non-HD version of it.

and go install nvidia next. sometimes driver conflicts are resolved when you do it in the proper order.

laggers

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017
Update:-
Does look to have been my GPU having a catastrophic breakdown (I must of called it a bad name one too many times, who know they were so sensitive) I borrowed an old card from a Friend (GT 220 - i think it's older than me) but it does work and allows me to install Nvidia Drivers.
So i'll get myself a new card - better £200 for a new card then £1000 for a whole new Rig so i'm partially happy

Thanks again for your responses, very much appreciated