Is the smoothness/fluidity of a video tied to monitor's refresh rate?

papercut03

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013
Greetings, I recently just bought a samsung UHD TV. When doing playback on the tv's FUNIMATION app, I always get this smooth very fluid playback (I watch animes); its as if I was watching those 60fps youtube videos.

However, when I plugged in my laptop and used the TV as my monitor, the native resolution of the tv is pre-selected to 3840x2160 (30Hz). When I tried watching anime using the browser, I dont get the same fluid smooth motion even if I change the refresh rate to 60Hz ; however, when I changed the resolution (using Geforce exp) to 4096x2160, even if I only select 30Hz as the refresh rate, I get the same fluid motion as I did when using the TV FUNIMATION App. Why is this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
probably your issue can be answered by samsung support than in here coz it sounds like a specific hardware issue for that product. you purchased a UHD monitor right? i believe there is a couple of display modes builtin to the hardware that support Fluid Motion. there may or may not be limitations around different settings. and other display modes may be disabled at certain resolutions. you can recheck your manual or contact samsung regarding your matter tho.

also keep in mind, the display cable you are using. for example if you have HDMI 1.4, its max supported is around 4k reso but at @30fps. maybe that could be the issue there. just double-check the hardware specs of your monitor to confirm.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
you need a monitor with response times less than 3ms. also your CPU should be fast enough to encode video into smooth video interpolation frames in real time very quickly. PCs dont have that time builtin. only on HD TVs. you need to download a software that will do that for you. or convert the video to that format. the refresh rate of your monitor just tells how how much FPS you can have for your videos or games.

papercut03

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013

I get what youre saying but how come the change from 3840x2160 to 4096x2160 made the online video fluid/smooth? thanks a bunch for the response!

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
its just a trick your eyes are playing with your mind. higher resolution will of course reduce the amount of "ghosting". the interpolated frames you would see clearer in smaller resolutions. you need a specific software or video player that has real time interpolation that HDTVs have builtin. if you compare your 4k screen with a real hdtv playing a video side by side. youll notice the difference.

papercut03

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013

I doubt that it is just a trick as there is a NOTABLE difference. Its like comparing 60fps YTVideos to non-60fps videos. I do appreciate the answer tho.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
yes youtube allows users to upload 60fps videos. and even allow 60fps interpolated videos for upload. they are both different. just be sure you set your youtube video settings to manually select 1080p/720p@60fps. you might have been misled when it was an auto and it wasnt streaming in 60fps on the time you were testing on the lower reso. basically, you need a software to encode. thats all im saying.

papercut03

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013

Nope. Only thing that I have changed is the resolution. Further, I was testing (and noticed) the difference when playing the SAME video (I pause it -> change the resolution of the monitor then play it again.) More importantly, I was just using YT as a reference so readers would get an Idea what I meant by saying smoothness/fluidity of the video.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
probably your issue can be answered by samsung support than in here coz it sounds like a specific hardware issue for that product. you purchased a UHD monitor right? i believe there is a couple of display modes builtin to the hardware that support Fluid Motion. there may or may not be limitations around different settings. and other display modes may be disabled at certain resolutions. you can recheck your manual or contact samsung regarding your matter tho.

also keep in mind, the display cable you are using. for example if you have HDMI 1.4, its max supported is around 4k reso but at @30fps. maybe that could be the issue there. just double-check the hardware specs of your monitor to confirm.

Solution