Force Fullscreen Resolution

xb2003

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
I have a 4k monitor, but (obviously) my 1070 can't do 4k60 on most titles, so I like to switch the resolution on my system to 3840x1440 so to hit the 60fps mark. The only issue is that most games, when you chose full screen, will try and stretch whatever resolution you have chosen (both in Windows and the game) over the entire monitor. Selecting Windowed Borderless generally fixes this issue, but in some games this doesnt allow you to change certain graphical settings, such as enabling vsync.

Is there a way to force a game to only see Window's resolution as the resolution of the monitor so that fullscreen doesn't try and stretch?

Thanks All!

Solution
Well... I figured it out after endless googling and just messing around. In the NVidia control panel, under "adjust desktop size and position" there is a checkbox to "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs." Selecting this stopped games from stretching the 21:9 resolution over the entire 16:9 monitor, and so now I can select "fullscreen" in games.

I figured I'd post the solution incase someone else wanted to know. For me, this solution was perfect. I have a 32" 4k monitor and a GTX 1070, and the 1070 isnt really powerfull enough for 4k60. But it does 3840x1440@60 like a champ. I prefer black bars and a hi res, smooth experience to backing off the resolution or details, YMMV

xb2003

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
Well... I figured it out after endless googling and just messing around. In the NVidia control panel, under "adjust desktop size and position" there is a checkbox to "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs." Selecting this stopped games from stretching the 21:9 resolution over the entire 16:9 monitor, and so now I can select "fullscreen" in games.

I figured I'd post the solution incase someone else wanted to know. For me, this solution was perfect. I have a 32" 4k monitor and a GTX 1070, and the 1070 isnt really powerfull enough for 4k60. But it does 3840x1440@60 like a champ. I prefer black bars and a hi res, smooth experience to backing off the resolution or details, YMMV

Solution