Huge lag after Windows 10 start CPU overclocked

Kaluditz

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
What happened: Upgraded PC parts from i5-4670k,Asus Z87-A and ddr3 ram to i5-8600k, Asus Z370 and TridentZ ddr4 ram. I have Windows on SSD and I did a fresh install about 2 weeks ago.

So when i first got the PC running after installing new parts and drivers all worked like normal.
Then I started overclocking my CPU, and right after my first BIOS change (all I did was changed clock speed to 4.6Ghz from the stock one, nothing else) So when I get to my desktop the lag starts and its huge, mouse has a 2 to 4 second delay and moves stuttering, programs open very slowly etc etc...

But after like 1min or 2min all works fine again. I did a BIOS update after this, no effect.

Solution
It sounds like your cpu is throttling.

2 minutes of 4.6 gigahertz followed by 2 minutes of 1 gigahertz ... on a loop.

Is the issue fixed with stock cpu frequency?

Kaluditz

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
Yes, when BIOS is on default settings it works normally. What is causing this then? I'd like to keep the overclock as it gives much more gaming performance.
Also I have good cooling (NZXT Kraken X52, liquid) and doing some TimeSpy it gets max 75C. And my current OC was at 4.8Ghz with voltage set to auto.

Kaluditz

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
Ok I have no idea what the problem was, now after I booted up with stock BIOS settings and after that restarted and changed back to the same overclock setting (i have save/load slots in bios) I have no lag anymore at start up.