Potential hard drive failure?

Adam Callender

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
I have had an issue with my pc for the past couple of weeks. since i had a windows 10 update, i have noticed that my pc is randomly crashing from time to time, its occurring daily at this point. my inital thoughts were that it was down to the windows 10 update. but a couple of days ago, i couldnt boot my pc since i had the ''reboot and select proper boot device'' start up screen. i turned it on and off again until it eventually loaded and i carrying on doing my usual rountine with my pc. this incident occurred again today and i couldnt get my pc on for an hour. i looked in the BIOS and noticed the sata port wasnt present for my hardrive but it was working for my cd drive. i changed some settings to set the hard drive as the priority source to boot my pc from and i even changed the cables round but still got the same ''reboot and select proper boot device'' start up screen. i left the pc on and it eventually booted to windows, but now my pc is running really slow. the hard drive itself is a few years old so i wouldnt mind getting a replacement, but i dont have a disk to reinstall windows 10 from since i got the free windows 10 upgrade a couple of years ago. any information would be greatly appreciated.

Once W10 is activated on certain HW (Motherboard), you can always download newest ones from MS providing they are same version (Home, Pro etc) and reinstall it. It should activate with no problems. It helps if you have MS account.
As for this one, if you successfully boot to windows, download and use a test program from it's manufacturer and check what's wrong with it. Here's some of them http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/sortname/hard_disk_drive_(hdd)_tools.html