Changing from W10 32 to W10 64 bit

donnihonig

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
Hello,

I'm considering changing from W10 32 to W10 64 bit in order to run 64 bit games.
My specs are listed below. Right now 32bit W10 is running pretty fast. I'm afraid if I change to 64bit Windows will run sluggish and slow. Will it run fast and smooth with these specs?

Thanks,

Donni,

Specs

specs.png

Solution
The scope of your machine is a slightly limiting factor. The maximum RAM recognsed by the chipset for that machine is 8GB (2x4GB modules), which I would recommend you upgrade to as 64bit systems are more RAM demanding than 32bit. Your processor is possibly worth looking at altering with a change to a Xeon L5430 that has been hardware hacked (approximately US$18 on aliexpress.com), which will both double your core count and give you a considerable performance increase. Going simply with a 32 to 64 bit upgrade might see you take a performance hit as the hardware will almost certainly provide a bottleneck for performance..

donnihonig

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017

Yup thats the PC. Do I need to install 2x1 GB, 2x2 GB, or up to 2x4 GB DDR3 memory sticks for it to run smoothly and fast? Also the fact that I have a Intel 2 duo, will that lower my performance?

DOSlover

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015

DOSlover

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
The scope of your machine is a slightly limiting factor. The maximum RAM recognsed by the chipset for that machine is 8GB (2x4GB modules), which I would recommend you upgrade to as 64bit systems are more RAM demanding than 32bit. Your processor is possibly worth looking at altering with a change to a Xeon L5430 that has been hardware hacked (approximately US$18 on aliexpress.com), which will both double your core count and give you a considerable performance increase. Going simply with a 32 to 64 bit upgrade might see you take a performance hit as the hardware will almost certainly provide a bottleneck for performance..

Solution

donnihonig

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017

Thanks for the response, I'm not planning to change processors. Just want to add 8GB. Any recommended tutorials on how to install 8GB Ram into this machine?

Just install it the same way the ram is installed now

Just make sure you install it the right way. It maybe a good idea to put it on its side, because sometimes you have to press down at both ends of it to make sure it clicks into the slot. Read the link i posted the PDF files for it are there

donnihonig

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017

Sorry a bit of a new at this. Is this where I install my ram cards?
clipular.png

Also is this the type of card I need?
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-2x4GB-Desktop-Memory/dp/B00569K7LM

Colif

Win 11 Master
Just so you know, to convert from 32 bit to 64 bit requires a fresh install of win 10. That is all, licence is still the same

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

donnihonig

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
Will I lose all my user accounts and files after the installation?
Is there anyway to back them up and put the accounts and files back on after the 64 bit installation?

32 bit folders maybe named different to 64 bit folders etc. So I would say no.

And you can't copy programs from one hdd then put them back later. They wont work

The only things you can copy are photos , docs,txt etc

You will lose everything since you'll have to do a clean install of 64 bit

Make sure whatever devices you use (ie: printers) have 64 bit drivers.

You cant install 32 bit drivers in 64 bit windows