Just bought an ssd but can't do clean install

zank12

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017
I bought a samsung 850 evo ssd and im trying to do a clean install on it with a usb flash drive. It tells me "windows can't be installwd on drive 0 partition 1. (Show details)".
When I click it then it shows
"windows cant be installed onto this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, windows can only be installed to GPT disks."
What is happening and what do i do next?

Solution
since youve most likely tried installing windows into that drive and/or made mistakes on some operations on it which will corrupt it preventing the installer from recognizing it. run your windows usb uefi/dvd, press "shift+f10". type the following below.

• diskpart
    list disk
    select disk [the number of your SSD drive in the list]
    clean all
    exit

pnork

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
Do you have another PC you can stick the SSD in temporarily? If so, do that & go to Disk Management, click on the SSD & change it to a GPT disk, then put it back in your PC that you're trying to install. I had the same issue, Win10 won't install on MBR disks.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
since youve most likely tried installing windows into that drive and/or made mistakes on some operations on it which will corrupt it preventing the installer from recognizing it. run your windows usb uefi/dvd, press "shift+f10". type the following below.

• diskpart
    list disk
    select disk [the number of your SSD drive in the list]
    clean all
    exit

Solution